• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s754 A64 3200+ Venice?? OCs @ 2.75GHz stable!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bishop78

Registered
I have to admit, this is the first time I have heard of a Venice core on a s754 I thought Venice was strictly s939 :confused: I've Googled the numbers on it & even searched for it here in OCF but can't find anything on this particular chip (except AMD's site). When I saw it on NewEgg for $53 I thought I'd give it a go anyways.

Anyone ever heard of this one? If not, I'm surprised because it overclocks like a madman...

2.2GHz AMD A64 3200+ Venice (11x200MHz)
ADA3200AI04BX LFBBE
CPUz reports 90nm Stepping: 2 Revision: DH-E6

Now here is the kicker...this thing does 2.75GHz (11x250) @ only 1.45V on my ECS NF3-A board like it's nothing. 26 hours Prime & MemTest stable with 29C idle/47C load with my Zalman 7700Cu. The only reason I had to stop at 2.75GHz is because 250MHz is the fastest HT bus speed my mobo supports (gonna give ClockGen a round or two later). That's a 25% OC on air w/ only a 0.05V bump!

Oh, and if you're wondering about the 11x multi, this chip seems to be multi locked. I thought all A64 chips were downwards unlocked except the FX chips (which are fully unlocked) :confused:

Anyone have any info on this chip? If not, I'd grab one at only $53 if you still play around with s754 at all.

EDIT: Using Clockgen, 2.8GHz (11x255) seems to be my top 24h Prime stable speed but only because this PC2700 ValueRAM won't hold any more (MemTest craps out after 8 full passes). And if I bump it down to PC2100, I take a serious memory bandwidth hit...not worth it. May see what it will do with 2GB of some quality PC3200 or 3500.

Last edited:
The Venice 754 chips have been around for a while, but they came out at a time when people were already moving en masse to 939 (they came after the 939 Venice chips) so not many people cared about them. I believe they also came out after the Opteron craze started, so people really didn't care about them lol.

It does seem like you found a great one though, congratulations.

I picked up a 3000+ Venice right before I upgraded to this Intel rig. Mine was capable of 2650mhz (265 x 10). Very nice chip, it outperformed my 3400+ Newcastle @ 2660mhz (266 x 10). You got some nice clocks there, I havn't seen them get up that high. I think the unchangable multi is due to your motherboard, not your CPU.

Thanks funnyperson. That does make sense. That's pretty much what I was looking for as I wasn't sure about the history behind them & why they seem so rare. If their original sales figures were really that bad, no wonder the Egg is practically giving them away. Probably getting rid of their warehouse full of old back stock lol

inkfx did you use synthetic benches or real life benches for your comparisons? I'm curious as to how this thing compares to some of the 939 chips. As for the multi, this ECS NF3-A allows for multi changes and in the NewEgg feedback others have mentioned this chip being locked in BIOS too :(

I'm not sweating the multi too much though. At 10x I'd have a hard time pulling off the 275MHz HT needed to hit these speeds given the RAM I'm using...but it'd be real nice if I could at least try lol

Benches I ran:
Aquamark 3
3DMark03 & 05
PCMark04
Sandra Memory benches
SuperPi

Specs of the rig:
A64 3000+ Venice
DFI Lanparty UT nForce3 250
2GB G.Skill DDR500
PNY 6800GT

Sandra CPU Arithmetic (Dhrystone/Whetstone) puts me just a fine hair under the FX-57 @ 2.8GHz & the P4-E 570 @ 3.8GHz

Sandra Multi-Media has me sitting right below the FX-57 & the Core Duo T2300

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Specs:
A64 3200+ s754 Venice @ 2.75GHz
ECS nForce3-A
1GB Kingston ValueRAM PC2700 @ 197MHz 2-3-3-7 (HAHA! Who would've thought!)
XFX 7600GT (AGP)

EDIT: Blah! You were right! This board is multi locked. I was thinking of my 939 :bang head

Last edited:
I would love to get a chip that does 11x multi. Since I very well know my board will give me 270+. If I got off my mindset of multiples of 10 for the bus.. I would be higher. Since I know I can push much higher. This setup I have gotten it to 278 without very little thought. I got bored past that.

Everytime I go for a upgrade on my CPu somethign always gets in the way. So I stick with my CP uthat does a 9x multi.

I would push a good Vneice for all it's worth if I could find a real 11x multi 754 chip. If the chip could handle me anyways. 278x11 is garsh awful fast for a 754/

Like I said. EVERYTIME.I go for a new CPU, something goes bad some how some way. I might have to take my chances of bad luck for one. Plus the wrath of the wife. I just bought a Raptor74DG. So she is not happy about that.

My 2.5 run

I use a 2800+

I imagine that you could get this Venice for $50 and sell your current one for like 30-40 on eBay. You know you want a 2.8ghz 754 rig :).

I dont do ebay. Money is not the issue really. I just dumped $122 for a new drive yesterday. If I need/want it, I get it.

I am a collector of old computer parts it seems. Makes for a good back up later on. Like alot of us, I have boxes of cast off parts.

YES, I do want a 2.8Ghz 754. Thing is. When these first chips came out. I was going to buy one.

My monitor died just as I was going to hit add to cart. Poof gone.

Next time.. 2 fans died and the controller it was on. Poof gone.

Next time.. The day I was going to order. The wife found out she had a tumor. Had other things to worry about then a computer. It cost us 10k to get that fixed.

Next time.. My other 462 computer died. Poof gone.

Today I was drooling over a new setup and my drive died.

There is a pattern here about me trying for a faster 754 chip.. :shrug: The hardware gods are aginst me on this.

Geesh a 2.8 does sound appealing though. For me it would be a really nice bump. Since this is my main rig and it is really starting to show its age.

2.8+.......

Thinking about it, I really want to see one of these under phase. If I still had my old rig I would probably send it to someone just to see how far these chips will really go.

funnyperson1 said:
I imagine that you could get this Venice for $50 and sell your current one for like 30-40 on eBay. You know you want a 2.8ghz 754 rig :).

That is exactly how I built this 754 rig. I sold 6x 256MB sticks of some very old PC133 SDRAM I had stuffed in the closet for $100 (which paid for the CPU & Zalman 7700Cu), then sold a 40GB & a 60GB HDD for $50 (which paid for the mobo), then sold my old socket A XP 3200+ Barton for $130...being the fastest 462 chip, they pull a small fortune on ebay...that paid for the 1GB of Kingston & a decent PSU.

I slapped all of that in an Apevia Xplorer case I had laying around and jerked the 7600GT out of my other machine & viola! A brand new 754 machine built from 3+ year old hardware sold on ebay. I didn't spend a single penny out of pocket :beer:

BTW, here's the linky for that Venice... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103035

Enablingwolf said:
I dont do ebay. Money is not the issue really. I just dumped $122 for a new drive yesterday. If I need/want it, I get it.

I am a collector of old computer parts it seems. Makes for a good back up later on. Like alot of us, I have boxes of cast off parts.

YES, I do want a 2.8Ghz 754. Thing is. When these first chips came out. I was going to buy one.

My monitor died just as I was going to hit add to cart. Poof gone.

Next time.. 2 fans died and the controller it was on. Poof gone.

Next time.. The day I was going to order. The wife found out she had a tumor. Had other things to worry about then a computer. It cost us 10k to get that fixed.

Next time.. My other 462 computer died. Poof gone.

Today I was drooling over a new setup and my drive died.

There is a pattern here about me trying for a faster 754 chip.. :shrug: The hardware gods are aginst me on this.

Geesh a 2.8 does sound appealing though. For me it would be a really nice bump. Since this is my main rig and it is really starting to show its age.

2.8+.......

Yea it does seem like the world has conspired against you to prevent this from happening. Perhaps it was just telling you to wait for the right time...like now :p.

I've had my 754 3000+ Venice since last summer. I've clocked it to 2.7 @ 1.7 volts. It does 2.6 @ 1.6 volts. I have the cpu watercooled, so the voltage doesn't really bother me. These cpu's are very cheap right now, and wouldn't be a bad upgrade for an older 754 system. 2.7 - 2.8 seems to be about the limit of these cpu's.

downer said:
I've had my 754 3000+ Venice since last summer. I've clocked it to 2.7 @ 1.7 volts. It does 2.6 @ 1.6 volts. I have the cpu watercooled, so the voltage doesn't really bother me. These cpu's are very cheap right now, and wouldn't be a bad upgrade for an older 754 system. 2.7 - 2.8 seems to be about the limit of these cpu's.
Heh, that's exactly what my 3000+ did too. I had it watercooled except with a TDX w/ brass top.

NettieZoom said:
Fry's is selling the A64 3200+ and a ECS MB for $89. They all seem to overclock like mad too :)

That may be the same ECS as what I'm using...the nForce3-A. I don't care for the multi lock or the 250 HT bus cap but to be ECS, I'm very impressed with it!

Water?! Geez! I'm doing 2.8 on air (29C idle/47C load) at only 1.45V 26h Prime stable. I couldn't imagine what I could hit with WC & better RAM :drool:

But then again, I'm using the enormous Zalman 7700Cu w/ a side panel CPU duct (modded with an 80mm fan) for a grand total of 9 fans (including PSU & GPU) in my case lol

EDIT: cpudatabase.com is showing that 2.85GHz is about average on air for these chips using better coolers like the 7700 or Freezer 64 but 3.15GHz has been hit using a VapoChill rig :drool:

Last edited:
Bishop78 said:
Water?! Geez! I'm doing almost 2.8 on air (29C idle/47C load) at only 1.45V 26h Prime stable. I couldn't imagine what I could hit with WC & better RAM
I suppose the new stepping is a whole lot better than the processors we had. I bought mine over summer as well and it took about same voltages to get those speeds.

I am also a satisfied s754 Venice 3000+ customer. I'm humming along now at 2650 Mhz. I could probably inch my way up to 2700 but I wouldn't want to push the Vcore towards 1.7v. I need to keep this system for a while...don't need to risk frying my cpu just for a few more Mhz's...

Back