• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Scythe Ninja 4 Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've written to the mfr's rep with your question. In the interim, you could use the heatsink that came with the cpu, refrain from overclocking it, and wait for your target heatsink to show up for sale.

My H80 works, but from the results of your testing, it looks like the Ninja outperforms sinks that outperform the H80. Then I can squeeze out more ghz! :p

Thanks for passing the question on Ehume :)

Wow, it beat the noctua. Never thought I'd see the day. I'd only worry about the motherboard warping from its weight, it's huge! Thanks for the review, ehume.

Hmmm, few mm shorter than the 212 evo.....Wonder if it would allow for the installation of both it, and an 8" fan on the top exhaust mount of my HAF-XB

My G.Skill Snipers are 42mm, but can always.......mod the heat spreaders a bit lol.

Wow, it beat the noctua. Never thought I'd see the day. I'd only worry about the motherboard warping from its weight, it's huge! Thanks for the review, ehume.

It's nowhere near as large as the Noctua heatsinks, only a little deeper. Consider, it's only as wide as a 120mm fan. The NH-D14 is as wide as a 140mm fan. The NH-D15 is as wide as a 150mm fan. Look at those specs again. Those pretty pictures only make it look huge.

Yeouch. $17 in shipping to the US. Gonna wait till there are more retailers carrying it here in the US. Glad to know its available though. Means its just got to filter through the retail systems :)

theReview said:
MSRP of this soon-to-be-released heatsink is “around $45 – $47.”

Though, it does seem strange that site are the only ones selling it. Maybe they're really just taking pre-orders?

Though, it does seem strange that site are the only ones selling it. Maybe they're really just taking pre-orders?

The first picture says "now in stock" across the heatsink, so I assume they have it.

The first picture says "now in stock" across the heatsink, so I assume they have it.

Unless it's one of those things like we saw with the 970s when they first launched and different stores (Amazon is the one I have in mind) would have them "in-stock", but below that in print, "ships <some date a month or two in the future>".

Just speculating as to why Scythe would grant launch exclusivity to the powerhouse which is coolerguys.com ;) :rofl:

Well, here's an idea. I'll just email them and bluntly ask.
Much better idea than doing what I did on Amazon a few years ago....buying Evangelion 3.33 blu-ray......cos now its set on pre-order for the past 3 years.

And done, asking questions never hurt anyone.........well.........cept in dictatorships

I will probably check it on 6700K soon but I doubt I will keep it for longer because of size and in daily rig I need something smaller. Anyway it looks like a nice cooler if you don't want or don't have space for water cooling.

still not sure how it costs more to get to you than to me, and i am further a way.
Maybe you can ask them to USPS it lol, put a stamp on it, hope for the best.

Like I did with a coconut once.

Go figure UPS costs less to send to one of the colorado springs zip codes than USPS.

$11.67

No wonder the postal service is broke, they too expensive

still not sure how it costs more to get to you than to me, and i am further a way.
Maybe you can ask them to USPS it lol, put a stamp on it, hope for the best.

Like I did with a coconut once.

Go figure UPS costs less to send to one of the colorado springs zip codes than USPS.

$11.67

No wonder the postal service is broke, they too expensive

USPS was 17 for some reason. But ups ground is about 11.

News

Look here. Some Skylakes are being broken by mounts with too much mounting pressure. "With each new generation of CPUs, Intel provides a recommended maximum mounting pressure for third-party cooler designs, which for Skylake remains the same 50 pounds (22.6kg) of static load as with its older CPUs."

"So far, only Scythe has offered a solution to the problem. A post on its support page notes that it will be redesigning the mounting mechanism for Skylake CPUs by offering new screws to reduce the mounting pressure. The change only affects coolers that use its H.P.M.S mounting system, with the company saying that its coolers are "compatible with Skylake sockets in general." Scythe will send a set of upgraded screws for free to existing customers."

Thanks for posting that in here ehume, didn't think about it myself.

Look here. Some Skylakes are being broken by mounts with too much mounting pressure. "With each new generation of CPUs, Intel provides a recommended maximum mounting pressure for third-party cooler designs, which for Skylake remains the same 50 pounds (22.6kg) of static load as with its older CPUs."

"So far, only Scythe has offered a solution to the problem. A post on its support page notes that it will be redesigning the mounting mechanism for Skylake CPUs by offering new screws to reduce the mounting pressure. The change only affects coolers that use its H.P.M.S mounting system, with the company saying that its coolers are "compatible with Skylake sockets in general." Scythe will send a set of upgraded screws for free to existing customers."

Scythe is playing games.

Second paragraph of your link:
The problems appear to stem from the substrate used in Skylake's construction, which is noticeably thinner than that of previous-generation chips. Noctua, EK Water Blocks, Scythe, Arctic, Thermaltake, and Thermalright, commenting to Games Hardware about the issue, suggested that damage from overly high mounting pressure is most likely to occur during shipping or relocation of a system. Some are recommending that the CPU cooler be removed altogether before a system is shipped.
Anybody with half a brain cell knows shipping systems with aftermarket coolers is taking a risk of damage. :D

The only "documented proof" is from Scythe on system that sustained damage from being shipped with coolers mounted or rough handling.

Sure, the thinner PCB could most definitely contribute to easier damage, but we really have no proof there is a mounting issue but from Scythe.

Back