• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shanghai available for Pre-Order..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rinne

I was reading through the economy part of the newspaper this morning, and suddenly a little article took my attention..

WZ Neswpaper Shanghai article

Erste «Shanghai»-Prozessoren von AMD im Handel

Hamburg (dpa) - Der US-Chiphersteller AMD steht kurz vor dem Verkaufsstart seines neuen Vierkerne-Prozessors «Shanghai». Erste Online-Händler in den USA wie die Elektronikhändler PC Connect und Buy.com bieten den Chip bereits in ihrem Sortiment an.

Die Preise variieren je nach Leistung und Anbieter zwischen 1000 und 2500 Dollar (gut 780 bis 1950 Euro). «Shanghai» ist einer der großen Hoffnungsträger für den angeschlagenen Chiphersteller. AMD hatte die Verfügbarkeit des leistungsfähigen Prozessors noch für dieses Jahr angekündigt. In der Branche wird erwartet, dass die «Shanghai»-Chips vom 13. November an weit verbreitet verfügbar sein werden.

Im harten Wettbewerb mit dem großen Konkurrenten Intel hatte AMD die Entwicklung des Chips beschleunigt und den ursprünglich für das erste Quartal 2009 geplanten Auslieferungstermin vorgezogen. Einen Fehlstart wie bei dem Vorgänger «Barcelona» wollte das Unternehmen in jedem Fall vermeiden. Nach diversen technischen Problemen hatte sich die Marktreife des Vorgängers «Barcelona» um mehr als ein halbes Jahr verzögert. Dabei hatte AMD in den Prozessor viel Hoffnung gesetzt, um im lukrativen Servermarkt gegenüber Intel wieder Boden gut zu machen, dann aber seinen zeitlichen Vorsprung verspielt.

«Shanghai» ist der erste AMD-Prozessor, der in der neuen und effizienteren 45-Nanometer-Technologie gefertigt wird. Nach Angaben des Unternehmens liefern die neuen Chips mit vier Prozessorkernen bis zu 20 Prozent mehr Leistung gegenüber ihren «Barcelona»-Vorgängern. AMD hatte nach erneut erheblichen Verlusten seine Fertigung zuletzt in eine neue Gesellschaft ausgegliedert und erhofft sich von einer Finanzspritze in Milliardenhöhe des neuen Mehrheitseigners Abu Dhabi, wieder in ruhigeres Fahrwasser zu geraten. Die Abspaltung der kostspieligen Fertigung soll das Unternehmen wieder flexibler und konkurrenzfähiger mache

It mainly says that Shanghai based processor are available for pre-order at buy.com and pc connect (although I couldn't find them at buy.com myself and not even the hompage of pc connect) and that they will be widely available november 13th..

oh and that they'll cost between 1000-2500US $...:eek:

Translation: Did as best I could
Hamburg - The US-Chipseller AMD states for the Before Selling are new 4 core CPU Shanghai. First Online Sites in the USA how the Electronichandler PC Connect and Buy.com offer the chip offers in their store.

The price varies from 1000 - 2500. Shanghai is the big hope carrier for AMD. AMD has the effisient proccessor available this year. In the first to come out the 13th of november.

Compition with Intel.... something about Quarter 2009 and Develpment. How bad Barcelona did against Intel. Most of these words I have never seen :(

Shanghai is the first AMD CPU, that in the new and effiscient 45nm Technology are manufacturing. 20% better then Barcelona. Rest of the paragraph talks about the company spining off into two companies.

English article from Bit-tech.net

I just wonder how they will justify their prices, as nehalem is available for pre-order here as well and it ranges between around 380-1160€ and is most likely faster than shanghai.. Not even the high MB prices on the Intel platform can even that out... A Large pricedrop at its release sure wouldn't put Shanghai in a good light.

The only people that will buy these CPUs this early in the game are High end Server Admins or third party sites that want to release info before anyone else. Or a rich kid that screams if he doesn't get what he wants right then and there. Wish I had money >.>

theres still going to be some benchmarks that will compare this chip to barcelona, and hopefully we will get an idea of phenom - deneb performance

It mainly says that Shanghai based processor are available for pre-order at buy.com and pc connect (although I couldn't find them at buy.com myself and not even the hompage of pc connect) and that they will be widely available november 13th..

oh and that they'll cost between 1000-2500US $...:eek:
Since a while now, minimum 3 weeks.

Those prices are incorrect, at least for US and UK.

Correct ones: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=92706

These are serve CPUs so comparison to a Neha may have no bearing unless you are comparing it to a "Zeha". Looking at the 8xxx versions, prices are relative and inline with the speed bin from the Barcs. By the time we the Phens, prices should be right in line or 200-300 for the quads.

Back