• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I re-apply my heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I see Golden Sample after Golden Sample getting way more out of it's memory than I am. I'm only getting 490 with my MX440, and it's rated at 500 from what I hear. Stock non Golden Sample memory is at 400. I don't know, maybe that's good for this card but I see others with the Goldens getting 500+ without heatsinks, you'd think I'd do better than that.

The reason I ask is that I used the Arctic Silver 3 and Krazy Glue method to apply. With all the warnings I've heard about AS3 briding pins on the memory, I was VERY stingy with it. I know less is more in the thermal grease issues, but the more I think about it the more I worry I used too little. See, memory chips aren't as smooth as a CPU core, they're rough plastic. Perhaps I'm not getting a good connection?

--Illah

AS3 on the memory? Be VERY careful. I had problems applying AS2 on my memory. Apparently, there was contact with the memory pins due to graphical distortions. The contact wasn't even visually noticeable.
Also, the superglue I used on the corners became very brittle. I was able to remove the HS with my fingers.:eek:
I highly recommend Artic Silver Alumina adhesive for the memory. A lot safer and the performance difference isn't practically noticeable. You can thoroughly apply ASA (better contact) w/o having to worry about skimping to prevent shorts or capacitance issues.
Good luck

ramsinks

AS3 is more prone to liquify under extreme heat. I'd use Arctic Alumina (got mine for $2.99 at Fry's) or a silicone-type grease, then Arctic Silver 2, then Arctic Silver 3... in that order of preference. Get a fan bolwing cool air on those, air from outside the case.

Back