• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI on a MicroATX Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hello everyone,

Sorta a follow up on my past topics, this time I'm gonna ask whether SLI is (physically) possible on a microATX board. I'm going to get the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard, which supports both SLI and crossfire, and has a 16x, 8x and 4x PCI-E slots. I'm going to put 2x 680 GTX on it. However, I just don't see how that's going to work physically. This is how the motherboard looks like:

4283_big.jpg

The PCI-E slots for SLI are actually the first and the last one, so in terms of spacing, they're probably fine. However, I suspect that the card that will be placed on the last slot will block/conceal some of the motherboard outputs (such as the front USB, maybe front audio, some SATA etc).

Are my suspicions correct, or am I just plain wrong?

You should be able to use the first, and next to last slot as well. Any two of those slots you use will run at the same speed--you don't necessarily have to use the x8 PCI-e slot on the end. Either way, there is a possibility that you'd cover some of the power/reset/etc. connections, and some SATA ports. The SATA ports shouldn't be too big a deal unless you're trying to use all of them, because they make 90 degree connectors for those.

If you're dead set on the 680, you could buy one, and check its fit in the slot, then if it fits ok, commit to buying the second one. If it doesn't fit, return it and get a new card, and/or pick a new mobo. Also check that the cards won't protrude off the edge of the mobo (not sure what case you're using, but if the cards are too big, they may not fit in the case either).

IIRC one of my final SLI adventures was running a pair of GTX 460s on that exact Gigabyte mATX board. You just need to bend the USB and audio wires parallel to the motherboard before plugging in the video card.

You should be able to use the first, and next to last slot as well. Any two of those slots you use will run at the same speed--you don't necessarily have to use the x8 PCI-e slot on the end. Either way, there is a possibility that you'd cover some of the power/reset/etc. connections, and some SATA ports. The SATA ports shouldn't be too big a deal unless you're trying to use all of them, because they make 90 degree connectors for those.

If you're dead set on the 680, you could buy one, and check its fit in the slot, then if it fits ok, commit to buying the second one. If it doesn't fit, return it and get a new card, and/or pick a new mobo. Also check that the cards won't protrude off the edge of the mobo (not sure what case you're using, but if the cards are too big, they may not fit in the case either).
I am using the Enermax Chakra Mid-tower case. I already have one 680 GTX. What I don't have yet is the mobo - because I'm not sure it would work for SLI.
IIRC one of my final SLI adventures was running a pair of GTX 460s on that exact Gigabyte mATX board. You just need to bend the USB and audio wires parallel to the motherboard before plugging in the video card.
I see. So you're saying I won't have too much difficulty with getting a 2nd 680 gtx in?

any reason for not getting a newer GPU that has the same performance as the sli'd 680's?

any reason for not getting a newer GPU that has the same performance as the sli'd 680's?
Like the 970 for example? Well, my goal isn't to be a gamer. My goal is to do all sorts of hardware tweaking stuff, SLI included. I already have one 680 GTX. I could get another one for cheap, probably cheaper than a newer GPU.

well that is tied to gaming, its a really well tuned and worked on game engine. Be it heave,3dmark, you guys still use aquamark?. then expect FAH to fold faster, it doesnt work like that is what im implying.

Back