• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundblaster Live! and Win '98 problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
I've heard rumours that these have trouble co-existing in the same system. Has anyone got this combo and had any problems? One of my mates has just got a Hercules' Game Theatre sound card, and is offering his Soundblaster for sale. And if its an OK match, how much is the SB Live! second hand?

it is an ok match... at least most of the time...
if you happen to own a cusl2 you'll experience shut down probs (god knows why), unless you disable SB 16 emulation...

you best disable this emulation anyway... because of possible irq-conflicts and memory loads...

but it is a good card...

I think 25-30 bucks for that card, assuming it hasn't been beaten to death (like us overclockers do), is fair.

reddeathdrinker (Aug 01, 2001 08:55 a.m.):
I've heard rumours that these have trouble co-existing in the same system. Has anyone got this combo and had any problems? One of my mates has just got a Hercules' Game Theatre sound card, and is offering his Soundblaster for sale. And if its an OK match, how much is the SB Live! second hand?

It's mainly a problem with the VIA chipset, I had major problems and just went with the Hercules brand, just as good as the SB but no problems.

I have an SB live platinum and win 98se and I have had good luck with it. I had an SB live previous to the platinum and it worked wonderfully as well.

It's the VIA chipset. I have Win2K Pro. I tried 98 and did still has the same problem. I am gonna switch soundcard, none of the BOIS or Driver fixes works.

reddeathdrinker (Aug 01, 2001 08:55 a.m.):

For some reason i got strange memory leaks on win9x/me:( While it works fine in win2k.

system is asus a7v133, tbird1.1 and 512mb cas3 ram

Back