• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange BSOD issue after installing latest GPU drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarcusarilliuS

Hey guys.

Right,I am assuming that this was caused by the new drivers as it has not happened before updating to them today.

I was putting on a 3d movie in TMT5 but forgot to disable SLI ( if I don't it sets res to 1440x1050 and 3d mode doesn't activate)
So I closed the program and then disabled SLI.
Then straight away got a BSOD.

Now that wouldn't be too bad but it's the first time ever I have seen a BSOD cause this issue, which is, when I restarted again, It had wiped my display drivers completely and strangely enough, all my network drivers too.

So I had to reinstall both the GPU drivers and network.
All seems ok now but would like to know what caused that.

I'm assuming it was GPU driver related as it happened when I was disabling SLI??
Might it have something to do with having an OC on the GPU's that was stable with the previous driver and not with this one?
I have just reverted them to stock just to be safe.

Anyway here is the event log of the crash..

Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>2</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-08T01:21:51.916406000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>140655</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>MarcuS_IRL-PC</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">126</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffffffc0000005</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffff880086e9e2f</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xfffff8800397e2c8</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff8800397db20</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Any ideas?

Mark.

Just restarted today and the GPU drivers were missing again.
This is really strange.
Only started happening since I installed the new drivers yesterday so hoping that it what's causing it.

You can wipe all previous drivers with a 3rd party program, and do a fresh driver install from there. But, I am assuming you are talking about the 310.90 WHQL driver Nvidia just put out?

I am assuming your pc is reverting to old settings/drivers due to the instability it had caused but I have no idea why it would keep doing that...I would assume overclock instability but you mentioned you reverted the changes.

When you installed the new drivers did you make sure to use driver sweeper or something similar? Also try doing that in safe mode.

As for the network drivers I am at a loss I have no clue why those would be getting installed as well. Possibly reverting mobo drivers as well? :shrug:

Yea the new .90 drivers. Turns out a lot of guys on the nvidia forum are having the same issues with these new ones.
They don't revert to old ones, they just load no display drivers from cold boot.

Fix is to revert to the .70 ones.

I assume that when it caused the BSOD the first time that corrupted the network drivers, cause I only lost network after that BSOD, not the subsequent failed display driver load issues.

I have reverted to the .70 drivers and all is ok again.

Me too mate :)

Nvidia have acknowledged the issue and will update the .90 drivers in a few days.

Back