• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Such thing as too many fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mediawaves

Registered
I have the ChiefTec full tower server, there's two incoming fans in the front and two exhaust in the rear. I have added another drive bay box below the two standard which changes the environment in which I plan to put two more 80 gig WDs. My question is as long as I have equal amounts of air coming in and going out I should be fine right?

Get more fans. Before i went to water cooling, i had 2 80mm intakes and a 120mm intake, and 2 80mm out's, psu fan, plus suctiondevice near vid card. Had everything equal within 1cfm. Also has 2 fans on my Volcano6, and a hsf on my chipset. Add to that default geforce4 cooling, and i had a whole **** load of fans.

Now that i have water cooling, i only have 2 80mm in and 1 80mm out+psu.(plus huge radiator fan). BTW, this was all done in my modded midtower.

and thats good is it?

well, you can keep your fans. only 3 fans in my rig - the cpu, the gpu and the psu fan. no case fans whatsoever and, guess what? it's still as fast, if not faster,than yours....... quieter as well:p

The man's right, he is faster. Is there such a thing as too many fan's? It depend's, how much noise can you tollerate? If it's alot, get rid of all your fan's and buy 3 or 4 Vantec Tornado's. You'll also need a fan controller that can handle their watt's, I use the Vantec nxp-201.

If you've heard the Tornado fan, you'll know why you need a fan controller. If you use air, this is the only way to go.

B-auto said:
The man's right, he is faster. Is there such a thing as too many fan's? It depend's, how much noise can you tollerate? If it's alot, get rid of all your fan's and buy 3 or 4 Vantec Tornado's. You'll also need a fan controller that can handle their watt's, I use the Vantec nxp-201.

If you've heard the Tornado fan, you'll know why you need a fan controller. If you use air, this is the only way to go.

for the cost of all those you could just buy watercooling.

WuChild said:
So if I'm even faster with 1 fan do I win? Just leave the side of the case off!

LOL! damn stright, i have 1 case fan, but its broken so now i just leave the side of case off and it's runing like a charm!!

only thing im worried about is the computer getting dusty though....

any1 know a good way of cleaning the damn dusts off all the computer parts, most fan the heatsink

any1 know a good way of cleaning the damn dusts off all the computer parts, most fan the heatsink [/B][/QUOTE]

I use a toothbrush and canned air. At least once every two months. :)

equal to slight negative case is preferable in all cases (pun intended :D) I don't know why so menay people think positive pressure is better. please read this entire thread for more info.

As I read that link it all came back to me and I remembered, wow. Thanks for all your input, but I guess it all comes down to CFMs. (2 - 5 cfm) positive pressure to be exact, thanks again.

Arnoldma, why not get a large peice of a filter, like one's for large vents, and then tape, or however you want it to be held up, it to the side so it will filter out a lot of the dust while leaving it open for air flow. Also, are you saying you dont have cans of air in the UK? Its not exactly high tech or anything.

Back