• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supermicro PSU alarm problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SimplePaladin82

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've got a Supermicro system, built around a 7046A-T "barebone" setup. Its based around the X8DAi motherboard, the 743TQ-865B-SQ chasis, and the PWS-865-PQ power supply. I've been using it for about the last 15 months without any major problems. It is primarily used for 3D Rendering and video processing. It has:

2x Xeon X5650 (not OC'd) with the Supermicro Heatsinks/fans included in the barebone system
6x 4GB Kingston 240-Pin DDR3 1333 ECC Registered (KVR1333D3D4R9S/4G)
3x WD SATA HDD (7200 RPM)
ATI FirePro V5800 w/ dual DVI out to 2x Samsung displays
ASUS DVD-RW

The system is also running off of a Cyberpower PP1500SWT2 1000W UPS.

I recently replaced the PSU after I got an alarm and an indicator LED (Power Fail). This is what the SM manual says about this alarm/LED condition:

"Power Fail -
Indicates a power supply fan has failed. The power supply module has a redundant backup fan that will increase its RPM to compensate, but the power module should be replaced as soon as it's convenient."

This happened while I was rendering in a 3D application. The system continues running fine, no apparent cpu slowdown in the taskmanager or stability problems when the alarm is going off. After shutting down and removing/replacing the old PSU with an identical model that I had purchased through Newegg, within an hour or two of resuming my work I'm getting the same alarm.

I've felt around the exterior/interior of the case and the PSU and while it feels a little warm in some spots (normal), it doesn't seem at all hot. I restarted the system after receiving the alarm with the new PSU and it starts normally, without any alarm. All of my applications seem to run fine, its just after its been under full load (rendering) for about an hour this alarm goes off.

I also checked the BIOS when I immediately restarted after the second time it happened, and the system temperature is still low, at 31-33 degrees. The BIOS has several fan/power usage regimes in its "system health" settings. By default its set to a "balanced" cooling/power usage regime. There is a "low power/low noise" option, the midrange "balanced" option, a "Performance" option, and a "Full" cooling option.

I had a long back-and-forth with Supermicro's Tech support regarding the problem, and after checking my BIOS version, giving them the Serial #'s of both PSU's and the System, they told me that the two PSU's that I had were "Revision 2.0", and that I needed to fill out an RMA and specifically request "Revision 2.1". I filled out the RMA and sent it in.

Next day, the RMA dept. gets back to me telling me that they cannot RMA it changing the Revision from 2.0 to 2.1. I then had to re-explain the situation to the RMA representative after they wanted to know why I specifically requested "Revision 2.1". They basically told me that I needed to take it up with Newegg, since I ordered it through them and I needed to get a "new" one.

I'm in the middle of requesting a return/replacement through Newegg, but I'm beginning to wonder if something else might be going on that could be tripping the alarm. I'm wondering about more mundane things like airflow problems, or maybe something more pernicious with the motherboard? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If this error description is accurate...
"Power Fail -
Indicates a power supply fan has failed. The power supply module has a redundant backup fan that will increase its RPM to compensate, but the power module should be replaced as soon as it's convenient."
...I don't think you have much to worry about. Ensure the power supply fan is, in fact, operating. If it is, go on about your business. To me this sounds like the MB's detector and the sensor on the PSU aren't communicating properly. Two new power supplies won't have fans that don't operate, at least they shouldn't. The only down side if you're unable to get rev. 2.1 of the PSU is that you will have to remember to check for fan operation occasionally, lest it actually stop working and lead to a heat-related failure (including potential data loss upon system crash).

Back