• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech 462UT temps...help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kchip

Thanks to OPP and DUDE and a few others , I got my 226w pelt hooked up to my WB and running. Temps are lower BUT:

1600XP 0213 Y stepping

174 x 11.5 = 2004 MHZ @ 2.02v

Water temp: Slightly warmer than ambient( 76F ? )

Idle 42C , Load 50C

Thats a LOT LOT LOT higher than I thought it would be.

Heres the set up:

2 Gallon Resevior --->Via Aqua 370 GPH -->GFX WB/TEC---->CPU WB/TEC-----> Heater Core ( 10"X8"X3" )----> 2 Gallon Res.

I believe the CPU WB is Seated correctly on the core , that was the first thing I thought of. ANy suggestions?

Abit KX7333r
WinXP Home
Antec TruePower 430
Turtle Beach SC
Linksys NIC

I wonder if your setup is the problem?

2 Gallon Resevior --->Via Aqua 370 GPH -->GFX WB/TEC---->CPU WB/TEC-----> Heater Core ( 10"X8"X3" )----> 2 Gallon Res.

I would go:

2 Gallon Resevior - Pump - Rad - CPU - Video Card - Back to reservoir.

That or I'm completely wrong..

Try to find a voltmeter and check the voltage going to the pelt. It's possible the supply is not putting out the full 12V under load.

You did use thermal compound on both sides of the pelt, right?

Ok ,

I pulled mobo and resat the WB/TEC. The Swiftech 462Ut is shipped assembled with AS3 already applied between pelt and cold plate. I did reconfigure:

2 Gallon Res-->Pump--->CPU--->GFx WB--->RAD---> 2 Gallon Res

IM still hot. CPU= 50C-53C loaded. Water temps , 80-85 F now ( warm ) after 2 hours loaded. Really no change at all.

I can geta voltage meter Mon. Im using a 400w Powmax , 12V 25A . ( It was $30 instead of $120). The POwmax has nothing else but the 226w pelt attached.

Still seems high. When I was running my 1.1T-Bird at 1545 and 1.85Volts. I was putting off 90 some watts of heat. With that and a super cube rad I had an idle temp of 24C and a load temp of 30C and a water temp of 40C to 45C.

It really sounds like the Pelt is not running. Have you checked to see if it gets cold? How are you turning on the PSU?

If the pelt PSU is doing it's thing, my first guess is the coldplate is not making proper contact with the CPU die.

The low water temps make the pelt or the pelt PSU suspect though. Check the pelts current draw with a VOM.

Colin said:
The low water temps make the pelt or the pelt PSU suspect though. Check the pelts current draw with a VOM.

Measuring the current draw of the pelt is a good idea.

However most handheld VOM's are going to have a 10 Amp fuse in the current measurement path. That fuse will blow if 18+ amps are flowing through it. If the Pelt is cooling the CPU when the fuse blows, the CPU temperature is going to shoot up when current stops flowing through the VOM and pelt.

Another way to measure the current is to put a very small resistance in series with the pelt and measure the voltage drop across the resistor. The current can then be calculated using Ohms law.

I = V / R
where:
I is current in Amps.
V is voltage in Volts
R is resistance in Ohms

For a resistor you can just use a length of wire.

1 foot of 18 Gauge wire is 0.0066 Ohms. (19 Amps * 0.0066 Ohms = 0.125V)
1 foot of 16 Gauge wire is 0.0042 Ohms.
1 foot of 20 Gauge wire is 0.0105 Ohms.

The pelt is running. If Turn on the PSU , the CPU temps come down from like 58-60C to 42C idle - which is crazy for a WB/TEC. I believe the PSU isnt giving me the performance on the pelt. Its just an ATX psu thats rated 12v 25A and hotwired to run. I dont think theres a way to adjust for more voltage?

Before writing off the supply, you should look into a few things.

Do you have any spec sheet that came with the supply or any significant data printed on the supply?

Are any minimum loads mentioned? It may be that you have to load one of the other rails to get the 12V rail operating correctly.

Is there any mention of "sense" connections? It may be necessary to tie certain of the ATX connector pins together to get proper operation. (In addition to the ones you have already tied together.)

On the other hand, the supply just may not be capable of putting out the current it is specified for. Wouldn't surprise me a whole lot.

Back