• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech vs. Thermalright XP-90

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanIdentity

I'm building an LGA775 system and deciding on the heatsink/fan combo. Thermalright just released their LGA775 adapter allowing most of their socket 478 coolers to now fit on the LGA775 socket.

I'm torn between the Swiftech MCX775-V
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCX775-V.asp

and the Thermalright XP-90 with the LGA775 adapter
http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=HS-001

The swiftech uses an 80mm fan and the Thermalright uses a 92mm. The Swiftech was designed natively for the LGA775 socket while the Thermalright was designed for the 478 socket originally. The Swiftech is about $18 (USD) more expensive than the Thermalright. The Swiftech looks to have a very very nicely lapped base, much better than the Thermalright:

MCX603-v-base.jpg

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
they are both pretty good heatsinks, but for looks id go for the swiftech :D (just looks so.... special!)

your choice, both great heatsinks, but maybe the xp-90 is a tad better...

edit:
Sevin7 said:
thermalright

one word posts arent all that appreciated, maybe a bit bigger content next time? :)

My temps with with Vantec Aeroflow : cpu/case 40/38
My temps with Thermalright XP-90 : cpu/case 32/29
with a regular silver thermal compound & a 92mm panaflo h1b fan sucking off from hsf... so go figure :)

With a slightly lower c/w, less weight, and being $18 cheaper I'd say Thermalright is the winner here. Anyone else think different?

Swiftech has VERY nicely made heatsinks. I'd wait for a review by JoeC, but I'd place my bets on Thermalright. Swiftech's performance has been lagging a bit lately.

Heatpipes just move the heat around. Thermalright just optimized where they put it.

Swiftech is still going with the "heavy as hell brute force" method. It works, but I know they can do better.

Back