• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Competition Work Units - AA*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

These Rosetta WU's (beginning with AA in their name), are specially set up for the annual protein folding competition.

Several teams from around the world compete in this, and no, FAH is not one of them - I believe that's because the FAH client can't easily be changed to handle it, the way that BOINC does.

Dr. Baker and his staff have asked that if you get any of these WU's beginning with AA, please let them fold to completion, with minimum interruption.

Great! Another race!! Gotta love dem races! :burn: :burn: :burn:

I just checked my server, and just while I was watching it, it has been loaded up with nothing but AA work units (well, one albino WU, out of the 24 WU's).

Interesting...

Do you have any more info about this? If it's a competition, I'm always down to join. I'm not really sure what to do though. Who are we competing against? Are we just completing more work units of a single type or what? Can we (ethically) control which ones come in? LMK what to do and I'll do my best to help out.

But from your post it's just which WU's I get. Looking, I have like 20 or 30 Abinitio's and way more that aren't. I think about 1/3 of the ones waiting to be crunched are Abinitio.

Hehe my roomate had to look at my screen for me to double check my spelling on that random-*** word :beer:

Yeah I too have these Wu's and they dont show in the Graphical Screen either, just the Boink symblol and some stats below it.

Do you have any more info about this? If it's a competition, I'm always down to join. I'm not really sure what to do though. Who are we competing against? Are we just completing more work units of a single type or what? Can we (ethically) control which ones come in? LMK what to do and I'll do my best to help out.

But from your post it's just which WU's I get. Looking, I have like 20 or 30 Abinitio's and way more that aren't. I think about 1/3 of the ones waiting to be crunched are Abinitio.

Hehe my roomate had to look at my screen for me to double check my spelling on that random-*** word :beer:

This is a competition between protein folding projects. So we're a part of it, but we compete as part of Rosetta - that's our team for this - the BIG team :) - instead of as individuals or regular teams like O/C'ers.

So it's *way* laid back competition, on our part - we don't need to *do* anything, except let the AA WU's fold, without interruption.

For the speed racer in your soul, you'll have to look to us racing past the 2CPU team, etc., on the smaller scale. :burn: :burn: :burn: :cool:

I'll see what else I can find out about this, Jeremy.

Just this, so far:
Sept 14, 2008
We are currently participating to the first competition for modeling the structure of an important biological receptor. This protein is much larger than all the targets submitted so far and the calculation should last around 3 hours per model on a normal machine. The jobs start with 'AA2A.' If you have a short run time preference and you notice these jobs running past it, please do not abort them.

This is not the competition I thought it was - it's a new competition, but basically the same thing. We're looking to find the shape of a receptor protein, is all I know about the protein itself, so far.

Last edited:
Back