• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This concerns EVERYBODY, so read and reply.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

I see many of you guys saying that your rigs are so D*MN loud, because you have something like 2*120mm fans, 4*80mm fans and a few 40 in the drive bays, two psu´s with fans, a HSF with a 7000rpm screeming fan and a pcibus card cooler! WHY?

You are overclocking, and your cpu, chipset and vid card is producing heat. So you add more fans, and yet you run your comp with the case off otherwise it overheats.

And then there are a few that reach almost the same overclocked speeds, with a minimum of fans and their case on.

Is there SOMETHING that makes some rigs so damn much hotter, or do some successful people just know something the rest of us don't?

Question:
Do we HAVE to have 500dB systems running 2000cfm and still run with the case off, or are we doing something so wrong?

Bad Maniac (Jul 23, 2001 10:31 a.m.):

Question:
Do we HAVE to have 500dB systems running 2000cfm and still run with the case off, or are we doing something so wrong?

I think that anything over about 160Db can stop your heart from beating ;D
personally I don't mind alittle noise, it tells me if something is wrong or not :)

There are plenty of things that can make one rig hotter than the next.

1. Case design. If you case has a design that doesn't promote good airflow and creates hot spots then you will get higher temps.

2. Hardware. The more hardware, the more heat. Especially extra things like hard drives. Some of these new harddrives can double as small space heaters.

3. Cooling desing. Some people take the time to design their systems to use minimal fans and maximum air flow. Some people just throw in a crap load of fans and hope for the best.

4. Overclock. You're overall overclock will have an effect on your system temps. The more volts you pump through your chip the hotter it's going to get. And where does the heatsink pump it....right into the rest of the system.

Personally, I don't care how loud my computer is. It would have to drown the the loud, inefficient 1970-era window airconditioner unit that I have in the computer room to start to annoy me. But my computer isn't that loud. Even with Twin FOP-32's it's not that bad.

i must admit that my system does run a little loud.......but i move it to the floor next to my desk for game play.....i have 2 120mm fans on the front ( see avitar or http://www.geocities.com/hackerzeppo ) and 3 added fans on the rear of the case (i'm adding another 12cm fan on the roof of it to exhaust).....my board temps average 22c and cpu temp at 43c....case design is very important, obviously........but the most important thing is fan placement......my fans are blow dirrectly over the top of my mobo and carry the heat right out of the back of the case.......the other fans are installed behind my hd, beside my cd-rom drives, and added fan to pws. i agree that there tends to be a vast difference between similar machines in regards to heat. but i think that a box that is too big (physically) and fans that don't pull in the air with enough volume, and not enough ventilation, seem to be the cause of most heat problems i've seen.
several people i know who've complained to me about heat have solved their probs quite easily just by thinking about air flow in relation to their cpu.....remove the blanks between cards on the back of the case....this will allow air to blow accross your cards and out.....keep air flow in one direction....be sure the more powerfull fans are in the back (where applicable) so that slower fans aren't hindering airflow......you guiys know all this so i don't know why i'm rambling.....so i'll stop now....
oh....one more thing.....the heavier the case, the better the cooling

Noise is the principal reason I went to water cooling, and I set up my rig with the specific intention of achieving decent overclocking with normal noise levels (i.e., noisier than a Dell, but not annoying). I followed some basic principles that have worked well:

1. Use fewer, bigger fans. They provide the same airflow as lots of smaller fans, but with less noise and at lower pitch (so less annoying);

2. Use a radiator that can be cooled with one big (120mm) fan;

3. Set up the radiator so that your exhaust (in my case) or intake fan serves the dual purpose of ventilating the case and cooling the radiator.

4. That's it!

I'm able to overclock my 1.33 Axia to 1.54gig at reasonable, if not great, temperatures, and I have only the power supply fan and two 120mm fans in my case, (not including the tiny fans on the chipset and vid card).

I hope to achieve better temperatures and/or slightly higher speed when I switch from a crappy submerged pump to a powerful inline this evening. Also, I may eventually replace my PS fan with a quieter one and replace the louder Sunon 120mm fan with a quiter Panaflo. Whatever ... the point is that the noise level right now is quite bearable.

It's really a question of priorities. I'm sure I could achieve higher speeds at the expense of higher noise, but that's not the way I want to go.

Probably a big part of the reason in difference is the difference in room temp. If your room temp is lower than someone elses room temp, you WILL have lower temps than that person (assuming equal computers). That's why cases work better on the floor, in basements, with airconditioning on, in the winter, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Back