• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is interesting... 3200 or 2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

I recently traded some PC parts to a buddy for some underutilized RAM he had. It's Corsair XMS PC3200C2 memory that we both bought for our machines a couple of years ago.

It's good stuff and I've had good results with my 512MB DIMM.

I just put his stick in my machine and was checking it out with CPU-Z and I noticed that it's labeled as: Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512MB

Mine reads: Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512MB

We have the same heatspreader and the affixed sticker labels them both as PC3200.

I had my KT400 MB running at 180Mhz FSB (2-2-6). I noticed that after I popped the second stick in, it locked up on me a couple of times. I figured that was because I was running two sticks of memory so I lowered the FSB to 166Mhz (2-2-6) and all is good.

So what does this mean? Was this originally 2700 memory that rated well enough for Corsair that they sold it as 3200? Is it 2700 memory and I'll be *lucky* to get 200Mhz out of it? I don't think I'll know the answer to this until I get a new MB.

This stuff should be BH-6, but I'm not messing with the heatspreaders on my new stick of memory. He bought this from ZipZoomFly.com (at the time it was googlegear.com)

Thanks

flapperhead said:
all that info u get comes from the spd chip. so whatever the manufacturer programs the chips for youll see.

I assumed that was where it was coming from... but is this good or bad? I guess I'll just have to try to run it at the claimed PC3200 speeds and if I don't have problems, then I can't complain.

I'd feel much better if it said PC3500 though!! :D

Back