• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoroughbred Secrets!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Want to know a mystery that has been unsolved for the longest time...? Well, AMD Thoroughbred CPUs and voltages.

The truth and overclocking comparing Tbred to Palomino.

First off,

Within three weeks, the XP1900+ will start to hit pricewatch and all outlets around the earth (As long as Palomino stock is sold out!).

The XP1900+ is an overclockers CPU, I can clearly see this and someone simply running the 166MHz FSB and attaining 2GHz right outa the box with some vigor Vcore uppings.

The mystery to the T-bred Vcore. I have two friends with t-breds, one with a T-bred XP2100+ and the other with a XP2200+ and both of them can run 1.73GHz and 1.80GHz repectively with only 1.50V .

AMD recommends 1.65V with the XP2200+ but with more stable steppings of Thoroughbred coming out, this number HOPEFULLY will get cut back.

His XP2200+ runs flawless at 1800MHz with 1.50V, very nice!

Within two weeks, my local computer store is getting XP1900+ Thoroughbreds in permenantly for stock. Get this, they cost only $165 Canadian! ($90 US).

I have a customer who wants the XP1900+ so I might just go for the T-bred. Appearently, the store says the new XP1900+'s use a Brand new stepping still unheard of. Guess we'll see..:rolleyes:

DS-Master

$90 US? Man... I know I just got this AGOIA Y 1600 but if they're gonna be that cheap!

I should shut up, I spend too much on the machine anyway :) If they end up dropping really low then maybe.

--Illah

*drools*
well my mobo + ram are stable up to 200mhz fsb so a unlocked tbred would kick some major ħ§
and i have my water stuff on the way so i may look into that in a couple months if this 1600 dont go as high as i hope it does

I figured out that T-breds do have an advantage as long as your keeping your Vcore under 1.75V.

If you can attain a decent overclock with like 1.725V or less, your gaining potential over the Palomino CPU.

Smaller surface area trades off to less voltage which translate to less heat produced and less heat to get rid of.

Now, if you have a Palomino @ 1.75V and a Thoroughbred @ 1.50V, the thoroughbred produces alot less heat!

The highest I've heard a thoroughbred running 100% stable at 1.50V soo far was around 1890~1900MHz, has anyone on these forums topped that??

DS-Master

mmm my 1600+ kick @$$ [drool]but for $90[/drool] you cant beat that!!!!

my next pay check is going to be a non car payment check so I will see if my computer shop has them.

Back