• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on a HTPC case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cooling is going to be one of the bigger issues as well as space. I'm planning to stuff a lot in there. As crazy as it sounds I'm wanting a gaming/htpc hybrid heh. Planning on getting a 52" 1080p lcd for the monitor, and running SLI. I also want it to be quiet, so I'm going to find really good fans that are relatively quiet for the CFM they push. One of the things I'm worried about is making sure the video cards will fit and finding a good cooler that would fit well.

Cooling is going to be one of the bigger issues as well as space. I'm planning to stuff a lot in there. As crazy as it sounds I'm wanting a gaming/htpc hybrid heh. Planning on getting a 52" 1080p lcd for the monitor, and running SLI. I also want it to be quiet, so I'm going to find really good fans that are relatively quiet for the CFM they push. One of the things I'm worried about is making sure the video cards will fit and finding a good cooler that would fit well.

Wow. Thats going to be some serious heat. Good luck.
Case looks great btw.

Running something at 1080p in sli, especially if it's an 8800, is a pretty big waste. SLI is usually only beneficial at massive resolutions. Considering 1080p is a much lower resolution than typical high end high-resolution monitors.

Running something at 1080p in sli, especially if it's an 8800, is a pretty big waste. SLI is usually only beneficial at massive resolutions. Considering 1080p is a much lower resolution than typical high end high-resolution monitors.
That doesn't make sense unless you are CPU limited at lower resolutions. He wants to game, and at 1080p (unless it is an ultra) some games would have trouble running at 60fps ;)

1080p from what I've seen is 1920x1080, what I'm currently running is 1920x1200, not that much more resolution on a 24" widescreen, using sli and newer games now I can't even run. Wanting it to be futureproof for a while th e sli would keep me able to play newer games for a long time compared to just one card which would start to bog down much sooner.

you could always watercool :) thats what is going on in my HTPC

you could always watercool :) thats what is going on in my HTPC

It's a pretty frightening concept for me, and expensive of course. I've never watercooled and am seriously afraid of leaks considering my financial constraints, I only get the money to build a pc once every few years so if something burns up I'm really in the pound. Otherwise it would be something I'd consider because of the noise level and the heat reduction.

Those look a lot like the Silverstone offerings. Make sure you check for card clearance before you buy a case. The HR03 heatsink from thermalright needs a 1.5" clearance to accomodate the heatpipes.

It's a pretty frightening concept for me, and expensive of course. I've never watercooled and am seriously afraid of leaks considering my financial constraints, I only get the money to build a pc once every few years so if something burns up I'm really in the pound. Otherwise it would be something I'd consider because of the noise level and the heat reduction.

i thought the same thing at first.. the worry of damaging equipment due to a leak was kind of hard for me to do, but if you get quality tubing (prmioflex, clearflex etc,) instead of the home depot tubing you'll be fine.

i remember when i ripped out my old tubing i did a 5 min leak test :p so far, nothing of mine has suffered a water accident.

Now THAT is a sweet case indeed!

I've been really happy with it. I've only got two 120mm fans in there now since I'm running older hardware in it, but I wouldn't hesitate to put newer, faster components in there and then overclock them.

The LCD is a bit bigger and brighter than what's shown in the picture also.

Wow, thank you for your suggestions guys. Showed me a lot of stuff I haven't been able to wander across on my own. I actually was really impressed witht he zalman stuff. The ones you mentioned were out of my pricerange with the LCD, OrigenAE has several with LCD's I couldn't afford including one where the LCD is motorized and covers the whole front panel. I did find on the zalman site a lesser model more in my pricerange that had impressive room and cooling options. This specifically -

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=182&code=029

It's large, but doesn't look odd compared to AV equipment esp with the analog volume knob. The cooling options in it are excellent IMHO, with one of them the PSU being able to be mounted with the intake coming directly from outside the case and the exhaust going back outside completely removing it from heat from the case. Would keep the PSU much cooler, and thusly quieter I think. What do you guys all think?

Wow, thank you for your suggestions guys. Showed me a lot of stuff I haven't been able to wander across on my own. I actually was really impressed witht he zalman stuff. The ones you mentioned were out of my pricerange with the LCD, OrigenAE has several with LCD's I couldn't afford including one where the LCD is motorized and covers the whole front panel. I did find on the zalman site a lesser model more in my pricerange that had impressive room and cooling options. This specifically -

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=182&code=029

It's large, but doesn't look odd compared to AV equipment esp with the analog volume knob. The cooling options in it are excellent IMHO, with one of them the PSU being able to be mounted with the intake coming directly from outside the case and the exhaust going back outside completely removing it from heat from the case. Would keep the PSU much cooler, and thusly quieter I think. What do you guys all think?

Sounds great!

I really like the way they separate the PSU, very clever...

Back