• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Toshiba laptop liscence key rubbed off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wathnix

Hi All

I have a Toshiba satellite t135d laptop. The hard drive got corrupted and the owner did not make recovery disks. this computer also does not have any built in optical drive. I am trying to reinstall win 7 from a thumb drive but I'm gonna need the license key and the one on the license sticker on the bottom of the computer has rubbed off.

I tried calling toshiba tech support but the guy at the other end would not even believe that the sticker used to have a key on it :bang head and kept prattling on about recovery disks not needing a key after I explained to him I was trying to use my own copy of windows to reinstall :bang head I eventually got him to escallate but the top tier guys are not in until monday :bang head

all I need is a frickin key!! So any ideas on how I can get the original key this thing was activated under? I really don't wanna pay the money for new recovery disks.

Call microsoft and go through the automated telephone service when you go to register windows. It's not the original OS key, but its a key.

Toshiba is your best bet, because they're the ones who buy the licenses bulk and slap the sticker on the device for you.

You can also check ebay to see if anyone's selling a compatible set of restore media. As long as it's a Toshiba branded OEM restore disc it should not require activation or the key from the sticker.

Call microsoft and go through the automated telephone service when you go to register windows. It's not the original OS key, but its a key.

Microsoft will be of no help in this matter, at all. You need the full key to activate. They're not a charity and they will not give you a key for free, even if you ask really nice.

ended up buying restore media, total rip off for selling a sticker that rubs off easily

ended up buying restore media, total rip off for selling a sticker that rubs off easily

It's a common issue, and has ALWAYS been an issue for laptop users. It's Microsoft's fault they don't coat all their stickers to prevent this. You may even say their complicit in wanting this outcome, knowing there's a small percentage of sales from desparate users reinstalling. Saves them money on the cost of the stickers, generates money for them later.

For as many times as the 'build your restore media' prompts nag you on startup until you tell them not to, NOT burning those discs is definitely not Toshiba's fault... ;)

how bad is the hard drive. i have saved a couple of laptops with the same problem by cloning over to the new drive at least the recovery partition, and walla run the recovery and ur good to go.

the key on the bottom is a unique key, not a volume license oem key that comes preinstalled... no way your getting that back.

I put clear packing tape over the COA label to help prevent the key from rubbing off. It's a common issue, especially if you do use your laptop on your lap...

On all 3 of 4 Toshiba laptops I have owned, they all came with recovery disks and did not prompt you for the MS key. My 4th and latest Toshiba laptop I have not had to use the restore disks on. I keep a clone disk of that system.
I don't keep anything important on my laptop. The wife mostly uses it and I don't think the 2000 emails she never looks at are to important.

This is a laptop I'm. Fixing for someone else. I always write down my keys

Recovery Media is a farce anyway.
Companies should be forced to send disks out - I hate recovery partitions or software that makes you burn your own disks (Especially since I burned the disks once then had a problem and tried to reload with them only to find out ... they don't work!)

If the registry is still in-tact there are key finders that will pull the installation key for you - quick google search should give you some clues there.

Back