• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Truly upset with Crucial Ballistix DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did it ever occur to anyone that clocking DDR2-800 to 1000+ could kill it? I know all about the 'same chips' theory but binning exists too. Also it *seems* as if older sticks are still going strong versus some of the more recent sticks.

This is aside from the single-sided issue.

Were yours single or double-sided? I may have missed that in a previous post.

Were you talking to me? Single-sided sticks.

And I didn't clock it to 1000mhz until 800mhz 4-4-4 was already not working. The SPD timings for the newer sticks still show 1000mhz 5-5-5-15 2.2v as an option.

I was replying to Masska, I would quote if it was anyone aside from the immediate prior post :)

But yea it seems like the single-sided Ballistix are just all-around crap. No wonder they're going so cheap, perhaps I should have kept mine longer and they would have gained value :p

weird man, well, i got my stix yesterday (ballistix pc8500), and after reading this, i had to know fir sure.. mine are single sided, at this second, they are running 450x8 1:1 4-4-4-12 2.25v, my gskills only need 2.2 for that, but these need a lil more.. but.. i havent tried them on their own yet, ive just been running these and my gskills, wich are d9gct (nakid!) i just needed to bump my nb volts just a tad, but so far so good :thup:

th_14226_Untitled_122_900lo.jpg

i wonder what keeps killing these ram sticks? i know it's not the ram module it's self... i have two sets of G.skill HZ 2x1 (PC6400 and PC8000) and i'm *pretty* sure they are both running the D9GMH module. on 680i they run 1T command rate very easy. i've never had a problem with them. the pc6400 set i have has been under a dominator cooler their whole life, but heat shouldnt be whats killing this stuff. maybe they F*ed up somewhere in the manufacturing process???

this is odd. Did the DDR1 versions of the ballistix have this same problem? i wasnt into overclocking back then and just had some best buy kingston stuff....

i wonder what keeps killing these ram sticks? i know it's not the ram module it's self... i have two sets of G.skill HZ 2x1 (PC6400 and PC8000) and i'm *pretty* sure they are both running the D9GMH module. on 680i they run 1T command rate very easy. i've never had a problem with them. the pc6400 set i have has been under a dominator cooler their whole life, but heat shouldnt be whats killing this stuff. maybe they F*ed up somewhere in the manufacturing process???

this is odd. Did the DDR1 versions of the ballistix have this same problem? i wasnt into overclocking back then and just had some best buy kingston stuff....

I wonder if it is manufacturing! I'm seeing RMA's from all over the world.
Do they all get manufactured in the one place?
Maybe its simply a design fault...
What ever it is, Crucial should do something about it and I hope they send me a good batch next time, I wont RMA them again.

weird man, well, i got my stix yesterday (ballistix pc8500), and after reading this, i had to know fir sure.. mine are single sided, at this second, they are running 450x8 1:1 4-4-4-12 2.25v, my gskills only need 2.2 for that, but these need a lil more.. but.. i havent tried them on their own yet, ive just been running these and my gskills, wich are d9gct (nakid!) i just needed to bump my nb volts just a tad, but so far so good :thup:

that may just be the 8500s being okay. the 6400s don't seem too well.

by the way, right now i'm testing 2gb ocz plat rev 2s that are rated 4-4-4-15 @ 800mhz and i think it says 1.9-2.1vdimm. i'm trying 2.0vdimm and we'll see if it can prime overnight.

just this past day, i primed over 10 hrs blend with a single stick of d9gmh at stock settings 400mhz 4-4-4-12 2.2v without a problem. i want to make sure the board doesn't have trouble with dual-channel by doing this test with the OCZ. if the OCZ passes at least 10hrs, then for SURE these single-sided 6400s (800 ddr2) are crap.

gotta wake up for work in 5 hrs!! :( gnite

my good old PC 8500 (double sided) set ran at 600mhz 5-5-5-15 on 2.2 volts for ages untill i decided to run tighter timings instead. They now run 533 4-4-4-8 2.35v

When I got the E8400, I paired it with a 2GB set of ballistix pc8500. Needless to say, I ended up going through 2 RMAs and finally got the pair in my sig. My experience with the ballistix pc8500 is that they are the biggest P.O.S. memory sticks out there. They caused me weeks of downtime and more than $25 in RMA sending fees. The two pairs I had were both the single-sided ones, and they threw hundreds of memtest errors at even DDR-800 5-5-5-15 and 2.2V. They were not stable even below their spec. speed. I want nothing to do with Crucial again, and I highly discourage others from buying these sticks, as I know of many others who experienced simial problems.

When I got the E8400, I paired it with a 2GB set of ballistix pc8500. Needless to say, I ended up going through 2 RMAs and finally got the pair in my sig. My experience with the ballistix pc8500 is that they are the biggest P.O.S. memory sticks out there. They caused me weeks of downtime and more than $25 in RMA sending fees. The two pairs I had were both the single-sided ones, and they threw hundreds of memtest errors at even DDR-800 5-5-5-15 and 2.2V. They were not stable even below their spec. speed. I want nothing to do with Crucial again, and I highly discourage others from buying these sticks, as I know of many others who experienced simial problems.

I'm truly ready to say bye-bye to Crucial myself, at least the ballistix line. The laptop ram they have has been nothing but perfect, so I'm fine with that.

by the way, right now i'm testing 2gb ocz plat rev 2s that are rated 4-4-4-15 @ 800mhz and i think it says 1.9-2.1vdimm. i'm trying 2.0vdimm and we'll see if it can prime overnight.

Alright, gentleman. I have set the 2GB OCZ Plat Rev2 DDR2-800 kit to its stock timings of 4-4-4-15 at 400mhz. I set the vdimm to 2.0v, and so far I've been doing a PRIME 95 Blend test since 1:50am EST. That's over 7 hours no problems, while the PIECE OF JUNK Tracers couldn't even break 30min.

I think I'm done testing. It's safe to say that the new chips are junk, or the Abit IP35-E is not a "good enough" board, which I will never say something stupid like that.

I'll give it to OCZ for reliability, well this is with my experience with them on my AMD system and DDR1 memory. those sticks went thru hell and back while I was learning to OC on my DFI lanparty. my Ballistix DDR1 died on that system and had to RMA. Although my current set of DDR2 Ballistix tracers were running at 1200Mhz for a while before I backed it down, due to fear of killing them. but they've been good so far.

The majority of the complaints are about the single-sided stuff? Seems like a classic oc'ing 'revision debacle' when the supposedly same part is changed in some way and becomes crap.

Last edited:
The majority of the complaints are about the single-sided stuff? Seems like a classic oc'ing 'revision debacle' when the supposedly same part is changed in some way and becaomes crap.

I hate them now... I really am upset b/c it was my fav type of ram until now.

I have a pair of double sided DDR2-800 and a pair of single sided DDR2-800, running together, in a P5K Premium.

Of course, I do have a fan blowing on them for active cooling. Seems to help things alot more.

That said, they certainly shouldn't *need* a fan at stock settings, I understand that. But if it a $2-$3 fan allows them to work and run much cooler, also cooling surround objects, then why not do it?

I have a pair of double sided DDR2-800 and a pair of single sided DDR2-800, running together, in a P5K Premium.

Of course, I do have a fan blowing on them for active cooling. Seems to help things alot more.

That said, they certainly shouldn't *need* a fan at stock settings, I understand that. But if it a $2-$3 fan allows them to work and run much cooler, also cooling surround objects, then why not do it?

fans work good, i have 2 of em covering all 4 as well, those fans help keep nb temps down too. my gskills are nakid tho, i havent run ram like that before, and never without a fan. i used to use that ocz xtc cooler.. dureing those days i had bad luck with ram, 8 gigs of d9gmh death= woohoo. its sad to see that single sided sticks arent doing as well as their predecessors.. makes me glad all my dead stuff has a lifetime warranty lol

edit:

ahh, no it doesnt, because ittl just get replaced with new stuff, booo :mad:

Back