• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UNDERclocked TBird runnning 47c idle! help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v1k

Registered
Hi everyone, I need your help. :(
I have a 1400 Tbird, running at 1050MHz (yes, underclocked) on an Epox 8kt3a motherboard (133 fsb, 768mb pc133 sdram). The pc is old, but I'm having a hell of a time cooling it! So much so that I have to underclock to keep the system running :(

I have a Thermaltake Volcano 6cu HSF and using some generic paste on the cpu. The idle temp is 47c, as reported by MBM for the CPU. MBM shows the case temp to be 35c -- HUGE difference!

I have the case covers off! Obviously, something is wrong with my cooling. Do any of you have any suggestions for a new HSF? I used to have a delta fan on the cpu, but it was waaaaay too loud.

I heard you can use an 80mm fan instead of the 60mm fan on the heatsink?? Are 80mm fans better than 60mm? Are they quieter or louder?

of course, i want to run the cpu at full speed. can anyone please suggest a solution?? :( :( :(

when you begin to go that high on the mhz, especially with amd, you're gonna have to sacrafice a little with the sound. yes, 80mm fans can be quieter and they can also be louder depending on the cfm and dba it's rated as. try looking into vantech's stealth fans if you want peace and quiet. also, are there any fans for exhaust and intake in your system? a stand alone heatsink for cooling 1400mhz isn't sufficient. depending on much you have can make a world of difference for cooling your system. if you have the money perhaps a new heatsink is in order like the ax-7. try lapping your volcano and reseating it with some arctic silver. kinda hard to say without knowing if you have any other fans in your system. as a temp solution why not just use a household fan and have it blow in the computer? :D

Yeah, I use table top fan when I play games, otherwise computer freezes up :(
I am getting a new computer in December, but I want to still keep my current one to serve as a file server.
I have 2 case fans in the system right now, one in the front and one in the back.

You think YOUR block is hot?? I built 3 computers for my friends with the "best" heatsink/fan combo" at that time. It was the Swiftech MCX370 w/ Delta screamer. All their temps were at least 50 celcius.

Another reason why I'm 226pelting within 1 week.

Back