• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Unknown USB Device Connected' - Maxtor External HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've only been trying to plug in back ones (don't have front ports)

I've checked all the BIOS options and USB Legacy is enabled. I don't see a delay time setting for the Mass Storage Devices or know where to find that.

Guess it doesn't matter since I've already returned the Maxtor drive. Think I should try a Western Digital?

I had the same problem with my external hdd, what worked for me was in the device manager to right click "disable" (not uninstall) then unplug the hdd, restart the computer, then reconnect, that has worked every time for me. hope that helps

maxxoverclocker said:
I had the same problem with my external hdd, what worked for me was in the device manager to right click "disable" (not uninstall) then unplug the hdd, restart the computer, then reconnect, that has worked every time for me. hope that helps

Nope, have done that. No fix.

jajmon said:
right click My Computer | Manage | Storage | Disk Managment - does it see it there? If so, what does it report? unknown etc

erics2one said:
I've already returned the Maxtor drive.

Thats one thing I didn't check

XP Pro will not recognize USB mass storage devices

I to am encountering a similar problem, I have changed my motherboard recently and now my USB key will not be recognized by XP SP2. I have tried similar things to what many have suggested here and none of them have worked. I to am confident it is not a power issue or windows lacking the correct drivers. I know the very drivers windows needs to use for it from the System32/driver folder, however windows looks for some form of install folder which I can't offer it and it does not allow me to tell it specifically what drivers to use (any suggestions).

I believe the problem is as was previously mentioned a confliction issue. Once again I am at a loss of how to resolve this issue.
I have several ICQ conflicts attributed to PCI slots shareing with others.
One thing occured to me is maybe if I was able to disable these devices which are sharing with my USB ports I might have more success.
I tried and still It failed, others I know have found success at this point, you might find it works for you.

My question is! Is it possible to change ICQ assignments, I've looked at my options in the bios and the assignment option is really very inflexable, it is all very automated.

All my USB devices share IRQ 21, will changeing the PCI slot of my USB card help?

Last edited:
Dascious said:
I to am encountering a similar problem, I have changed my motherboard recently and now my USB key will not be recognized by XP SP2. I have tried similar things to what many have suggested here and none of them have worked. I to am confident it is not a power issue or windows lacking the correct drivers. I know the very drivers windows needs to use for it from the System32/driver folder, however windows looks for some form of install folder which I can't offer it and it does not allow me to tell it specifically what drivers to use (any suggestions).

I believe the problem is as was previously mentioned a confliction issue. Once again I am at a loss of how to resolve this issue.
I have several ICQ conflicts attributed to PCI slots shareing with others.
One thing occured to me is maybe if I was able to disable these devices which are sharing with my USB ports I might have more success.
I tried and still It failed, others I know have found success at this point, you might find it works for you.

My question is! Is it possible to change ICQ assignments, I've looked at my options in the bios and the assignment option is really very inflexable, it is all very automated.

All my USB devices share IRQ 21, will changeing the PCI slot of my USB card help?

who is the manufacturer of it? what model?
do you have an actual add-on usb card to add more ports or what? go to the device manager and see if there are any issues in there.

i believe its a power issue. i have seen similar circumstances at work, we sometimes use long usb cable runs from the customers comp to their CPE. works fine on my laptop but not on their comp. and windows dont say squat about not having the voltage. usually a pci card or powered hub fixes it.

other times i see it is when we use one of the many cheap cables we have, and they tend to break when bent in a tight radius. but this seems unlikely, as the drive works fine on other comps. thus leading me to suspect voltage / current problem. if you felt like hacking up a usb cable you could try tapping into a molex for a strong 5V source for verification, without spending the $$$ on a hub.

Same problem here. No usb storage!

I have essentially the same problem with my XP system on an MSI mobo but I think it's a bug in XP. I've tried EVERYTHING I can dig up all over the internet including hidden commands I didn't even know existed (and everything you guys have already metioned here) to try to reboot the usb mass storage system. IT STILL WON'T WORK!! This is getting extremely frustrating.

I just bought a new WD My Book 250 Gig usb drive which works perfectly on my Compaq XP computer. But plug it into the other generic homebuilt unit (XP, MSI mobo, AMD 2Ghz) and I get the Found New Hardware wizard, which should not happen. It should just install itself and become available for use. The Wizard of course can't find any drivers because there are none! In fact I can no longer add anything containing storage via usb, including my Ipaq pda which WAS working perfectly along with my card readers and X10 home controller units. Suddenly, about a month ago, ALL THIS quit working. I think it was a Windows update that killed the usb but I'm not sure. I tried removing them all back to January but it didn't help. My last full backup is from last December so if all else fails I'm gonna wipe this thing clean and do a restore. I'd like to avoid it if possible.

ANY other ideas?!?!? :bang head

Also - I always run Trend Micro virus scanner on my systems and haven't seen anything unusual so I don't think I had an infection but who knows.

Back