• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compn00b101

Registered
Should I upgrade my processer?

I've been super happy with the one I have(sig). I bought it thinking I would upgrade to a 8 core eventually. But then I heard that AMD will not release a new FX chip... so now I'm thinking of just keeping this one. I only use my computer to surf and game. I want to play Elder Scrolls Online maxed out on graphics when it comes out. So that's the reason I'm asking. Thanks for any onfo :)

No sense in upgrading, IMO. My i3 clarkdale and 6870 played the ESO beta flawlessly at max settings. You've got plenty of power there in the CPU department, I'd say. If anything, I'd say upgrade your GPU instead.

I don't believe Elder Scrolls is optimized for more then 4 cores, nor do I believe you'll see much of a increase going from the 960T to a Fx 8xxx. At 4.1 you would need the 8xxx to be at a least 4.5 to equate the 960T and with that you would have to deal with the heat the Fx's put out.

Yeah, so I don't think you will see a considerable jump in performance. This game will primarily feed off your gpu and internet connection since their servers will be making a lot of the logic processes. I was running the beta just fine on a dual core I7.

Back