• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded from Ryzen 2700 to 2700x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

In some ways really not even an upgrade but at stock frequencies and voltages it's giving me essentially the same multicore performance and better single core performance than my 2700 overclocked to 4.05 ghz. What's a surprise is that the turbo is only rated for 4.3 but I'm getting 4.35 ghz. Right now, I don't have the cooling power or VRM strength to overclock the 2700x (see system specs in Sig) but it's very fast like it is. I could have gotten the Ryzen 2 3600 for about the same price $180 plus tax) but I went with the 2700x for the extra threads.

I'll sell the 2700 on fleabay for whatever I can get out of it.

I've recently upgraded my old rig (An ageing FX 8350) to a 2700x ;) A much needed and long overdue upgrade!

I'm averaging 32'c idle on water which isn't so bad. What temperatures are you seeing high and low on your cooling? I haven't really really tested the average high temperatures but I've never seen it go above 47'c which is excellent.

Luckily for me a friend of mine made up a new adapter plate for my old Apogee GT waterblock which was cooling my 8350 :) The waterblock now fits perfect on AM4 and it's proving to be quite the investment.

HWInfo64 reports my CPU (Tctl) idle temps vary from a little under 40c to a little over 50c over time. They fluctuate continuously in response to the complex default Ryzen power management scheme. After an hour of the Realbench stress test they would be hitting 86-87c. My PWM fans spin up and down a little accordingly, which is a little annoying. I've worked with the fan curve quite a bit and this is about as good as it's going to get with the current case and cooling hardware. The air flow inside my mini ITX case is better than some but not fantastic and it is located in a corner under a shelf so there also is not great air circulation outside the case. Too much of the hot exhaust air is finding it's way back to the intake.

HWInfo64 is also what I have been using for keeping an eye on the temperatures, The main difference I would imagine is that I still have a HUGE Lian-Li PC 70 with enough airflow to sail a ship :D

Getting a good reading with power fluctuating is bloody annoying at best so I just took the average from the readings, I can live with my temperatures for daily use, I barely stress any CPU these days.

Not to mention temperatures vary massively from person to person in their own environments and different setups, I was just curious :p I have never had a mini case setup before, I wouldn't get my hand in.

I did some more adjusting on the fan curve and I think I got rid of the annoying constant spin up and down noise of the fans when doing light computing tasks. I had to set the level 2 fan speed temp threshold at 60c to do it, however. With the CPU power management and frequencies left at stock values the vcore will fluctuate from under .5 volts to 1.5 volts (momentarily) at idle. So there's a huge range there for the cooling system to cover.

I know some boards include a hysterisis setting as well. This essentially tells the system how quickly to respond to the inputs it receives. I wish more motherboards would have this feature...especially with how these amd chips behave.

I know some boards include a hysterisis setting as well. This essentially tells the system how quickly to respond to the inputs it receives. I wish more motherboards would have this feature...especially with how these amd chips behave.

I'm not sure this is the same thing but my bios has the ability to set response times for fans ramping up and down. I have the option for .1 seconds to .3 seconds I believe. Played with it a little but didn't seem to make much impact on the issue. I think I have it dialed in now though. "Hysterisis"? I thought that was a surgical procedure where women got their baby growing parts removed.

Your thinking Hysterectomy …… :p

I've never played with these settings much. Mind you when I turn on my big PC it is to do my video encoding for the most part. My cooling is good enough that I can turn all fans down to minimum when not in heavy usage, the only noise I hear is from my water pump and just crank it when encoding and the system is in use for 3 to 10 hrs everything else in on my laptop. A decent fan controller is all I need though I can see where this approach is beneficial.

Your thinking Hysterectomy …… :p

I've never played with these settings much. Mind you when I turn on my big PC it is to do my video encoding for the most part. My cooling is good enough that I can turn all fans down to minimum when not in heavy usage, the only noise I hear is from my water pump and just crank it when encoding and the system is in use for 3 to 10 hrs everything else in on my laptop. A decent fan controller is all I need though I can see where this approach is beneficial.

Hee, Hee!

:clap: :D

hys·ter·e·sis
/ˌhistəˈrēsis/
Learn to pronounce
nounPHYSICS
the phenomenon in which the value of a physical property lags behind changes in the effect causing it, as for instance when magnetic induction lags behind the magnetizing force.

Those amd chips seem to have more variable idle/low load temps.

It is more commonly referred to as hysterisis in the data center/DCIM segment.

Well, I realize my fan curve wasn't giving me full fan speed under load so I disabled Smart fan in bios just for a stess test and shaved off 5c from max temps: down to 83.6c after an hour of OCCT. I would never push it that hard in real life so I'll leave it like is as it was under throttle down temp before anyway.

Back