• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading video card need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You might not need a new power supply. The GTX 660 has a 140 Watt TDP and your computer has a 300 Watt PSU. Your CPU is only 100 Watt TDP, so 100+140=240 which will leave you with 60 Watts to run your peripherals.

I would suggest taking a look inside your case to ensure your PSU has a six pin PCI-E connector.

If it does you might be able to buy a GTX 660 without buying a new PSU and you can just buy that when you build your own rig.

Hope this was helpful to you :thup:

Would the six pin PCI-E connector be just hanging or would it be attached to something? I looked and didn't see a six pin anywhere. If this means I have to upgrade my PSU are there any suggestions I could get that wont ruin my motherboard. Thanks for the help :)

I thought I read that the 660 required a minimum of 450W. I probably read it wrong but thought I would throw it out there anyways.

So which PCU should I get from the list that wont hurt my PC and is reasonably priced?

and one with a six pin PCI-E lol Im a little new to the pc upgrading

If you have a look at the 600+ range it should see you through for a few upgrades/years, and you will also be able to use it in your own build when you get round to it. Any of them PSU's will have the 6 pin power cable you need, unless its a gtx 660 ti which needs two 6 pin connectors. Most of the 600+ PSU's will have 2 so bear that in mind if you go for the 660 TI.

Ok I will probably buy that PSU. Im thinking of going with a 560Ti instead due to a lower budget atm. Thanks for the help everyone :)

I wouldn't bother buying last years line up... Well actually that depends on what you plan on doing with your build.

What games and what res you play at. It's a relative thing :p

Back