• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Usb thumb drive not recognizing in vista HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XeCuTiOnR

Registered
ok i have been having a problem of getting anykind of thumb drive to load in vista, i can see it under device manager, etc,
but i dont see it in my computer explorer, i even tried to change the drive name, with NO success, pretty much said access denied,

Untitled-1.jpg

i can see it but not access it...:bang head
i just want to use my thumb drive...
i also have downloaded every freakin hotfix available lol,
spent about the last 2 hrs looking up crap about this and havent found anything to work...
can anyone help me?

EDIT: also what the hell is this??? when i insert the drive it comes up in device manager as,

Untitled1.jpg

and the little box install thing here too, not saying mass storage device, like it should instead it says unknown device,

Untitled2-1.jpg

..sigh...

Last edited:
If you haven't already, try formatting the drive via the right-click options menu from within the Computer Management console (right-click the drive under Storage--> Disk Management, and select "Format".)

i tried that on my computer and it didnt work, so i put it on my laptop and formatted it to ntfs and fat32 again. sry forgot to add that in there.

yes, i tried that but like on the first pic up there, i r-clicked then change driv letter, then
it said this drive is not accessible please restart computer management, or reboot your
computer, i did both, and no luck. when i install it doesnt install it as a storage device, it
says the usb drive is an unknown device.

laptop has xp, and on my computer, i tried a microvault by sony, returned it, and my
mothers drive for her school work, same thing.
YET weird thing that my segate 250gb ex. hd works perfectly fine!, just weird how it doesnt consider my drive to be a storage drive...

Back