• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using GRUB to boot solaris 10 and windows xp on a raid 0 array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
ok, i have a slight issue. i have the following setup:

windows xp pro - installed on my 2 x wd raptors in raid0 (sata)
solaris 10 - installed on a separate wd caviar 80 gb drive (pata)

i have been successful at booting from each drive when i select it via the BIOS primary boot device menu, but i can't get the bootloader of windows nor grub to load both. grub boots solaris just fine. ntldr loads windows xp fine. i would ideally like to have it so grub can load both windows xp and solaris as i like grub a little better to be honest and is a more powerful bootloader. the problem that i am running in to is getting grub to boot windows. it just sits there and i am assuming it is because of the raid 0 array. is this correct? if so, is there any way around it? i have done a couple hours of googling and trying things without any luck. if somebody could get my headed in the right direction, that would be great.

Grub sees Raid arrays and sata controllers as SCSI devices. You need to check your grub config to make sure its looking for a drive like sd0 rather than hd0. I hope i'm not pointing out the obvious.

Garrett_thief2 said:
Grub sees Raid arrays and sata controllers as SCSI devices. You need to check your grub config to make sure its looking for a drive like sd0 rather than hd0. I hope i'm not pointing out the obvious.

nope, you're not pointing out the obvious... i am as noob to linux as they come :) thanks, i will try that...

If you have multiple partitions on the drives, with an OS on each, within the same array, they (the partitions) will be named sda, sdb, sdc, ect... So if you have XP loaded on the first partition of your raid array, point grub at 'sda' to load XP, and if Linux was on the second partition you'd set grub to look at sdb to load Linux. If there's only only partition on your raid array, and it contains XP, you can point grub at sd0

If you have just one partition on your raid array, it will be called sd0, and the pata hd will be called hd0

Garrett_thief2 said:
If you have multiple partitions on the drives, with an OS on each, within the same array, they (the partitions) will be named sda, sdb, sdc, ect... So if you have XP loaded on the first partition of your raid array, point grub at 'sda' to load XP, and if Linux was on the second partition you'd set grub to look at sdb to load Linux. If there's only only partition on your raid array, and it contains XP, you can point grub at sd0

If you have just one partition on your raid array, it will be called sd0, and the pata hd will be called hd0

i am going to post my menu.lst file... i tried to change it to:
Code:
#---------- ADDED BY BOOTADM - DO NOT EDIT ----------
title Solaris 10 1/06 s10x_u1wos_19a X86
root (hd0,0,a)
kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
#---------------------END BOOTADM--------------------
title Solaris failsafe
root (hd0,0,a)
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -s
module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe

title Windows
	rootnoverify (sd0,0)
	chainloader +1

but it would not boot. it gave me an error 23. i tried (sd0,1) (sd1,0) (sd1,1) and nothing worked. any ideas?

*edit: hold on... nevermind! i got it figured out... i had to remap the drives... :) i will repost my new menu.lst when solaris boots...

Last edited:
here is the new menu.lst section

Code:
title Solaris 10 1/06 s10x_u1wos_19a X86
root (hd0,0,a)
kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
title Solaris failsafe
root (hd0,0,a)
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -s
module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe

title Windows
	root (hd1)
	map (hd0) (hd1)
	map (hd1) (hd0)
	chainloader +1

Garrett_thief2 said:
Was it a matter of the bootloader looking for hd0 rather than sd0? Did any of my incoherant rambling help ya?

actually, it didn't have anything to do with sd0 but i did a google search with sd0 in the title and page it suggested had this:

Code:
title Windows
	root (hd1)
	map (hd0) (hd1)
	map (hd1) (hd0)
	chainloader +1
so i tried that thinking "oh what will it hurt..." and it worked beautifully :)

Back