• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WARNING! Important information about eVGA 680i board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Evilsizer said:
if anyone is having issues with sata drives on this mobo. i just got word from Ken at NV, they are aware of it. they are working to have the issue fixed. what the issue(s) is i dont know, i am not currently using my 680i yet. only other thing i was told is that NV will be releasing a statement in a few hours.

What kind of trouble are they having?
Mine seems to work fine.

Dave65 said:
Yeah its a good case,kinda cramped with the 8800GTX:)

Ya I did that. I'm using the fan header next to the cpu for my 120mm rear fan. I had to enable that one cpu fan deal in the bios in order for that plug to work, know what I'm talking about? Anyways I'm wondering if thats ok, the motherboard guide just labels it as a fan header.

Anyways everything seems to be working fine.

Some screens when booting look a little glitchy, I'm not sure why? My video card is a xfx 7950gt with passive cooling.

Oh and just remembered, one of my sata drives isn't showing up in windows, but does in the bios, not sure whats up there?

Timd said:
Ya I did that. I'm using the fan header next to the cpu for my 120mm rear fan. I had to enable that one cpu fan deal in the bios in order for that plug to work, know what I'm talking about? Anyways I'm wondering if thats ok, the motherboard guide just labels it as a fan header.

Anyways everything seems to be working fine.

Some screens when booting look a little glitchy, I'm not sure why? My video card is a xfx 7950gt with passive cooling.

Oh and just remembered, one of my sata drives isn't showing up in windows, but does in the bios, not sure whats up there?

Have you updated your bios?

Dave65 said:
Have you updated your bios?
I just did >< now I can't load windows, just gives me some boot failure message. Any ideas? seems people have been having problems with sats drives on this board.

Dave65 said:
Can you get into your bios screen?
Yup, I see all my disks fine so I know its not a connective issue. I'm trying to flash different versions of the bios to see if I can get it working.

Dave65 said:
What kind of trouble are they having?
Mine seems to work fine.
like i said in my post i dont know, i only know what i was told from ken at nv. i havent seen/read about any harddrive/sata issues.

ok, I reinstalled windows on another drive and its seems to be "working" now. Sometimes when I boot I get a blue screen flash during boot and it instantly restarts, ones its done so it gives me the windows boot options like "start windows normally." That bugs me but atleast it appears to be running now.

Also I still see some graphical none sense on some boot screens, I should probably post in gpu section about that.

As far as I know my brothers coms which are identical to mine are running like champs.

Timd said:
ok, I reinstalled windows on another drive and its seems to be "working" now. Sometimes when I boot I get a blue screen flash during boot and it instantly restarts, ones its done so it gives me the windows boot options like "start windows normally." That bugs me but atleast it appears to be running now.

Also I still see some graphical none sense on some boot screens, I should probably post in gpu section about that.

As far as I know my brothers coms which are identical to mine are running like champs.

Sounds like coruption on your hard drives,have you overclocked any yet?

Wow this SATA problem seems huge,guys are screaming over on the EVGA board,I think I may buy an Intel board just for a backup just in case.
I had a burp in my system today,my mouse went crazy moving by itself and I got an error while moving some files to my backup drive.
But no problems since,I did turn it down from 3.6 to 3.5GHZ just to see if it was my clock that was causing it,but it ran Orthos for 15 hours with no problems so I don't think that was the problem.

I have the SATA bug on my eVGA board. Right now its a useless paper-weight. My good buddy ViperJohn said days ago that it is probably a NB-SB cooling problem. The cores on each chip do not have a good contact and the coolers are sub-par. I called eVGA customer support and they said, "We are working on it." I do think its a more than just that, its a combo of things cooling & drivers. I am about to order a nice cheap SATA pci-e card so I can get my rig running and wait for the official solution.

THis is the 1x PCI-E card that I am getting.

krag said:
I have the SATA bug on my eVGA board. Right now its a useless paper-weight. My good buddy ViperJohn said days ago that it is probably a NB-SB cooling problem. The cores on each chip do not have a good contact and the coolers are sub-par. I called eVGA customer support and they said, "We are working on it." I do think its a more than just that, its a combo of things cooling & drivers. I am about to order a nice cheap SATA pci-e card so I can get my rig running and wait for the official solution.

THis is the 1x PCI-E card that I am getting.

krag, from the looks of it on [H] in this post
its hard to see how anything on this board is getting cooled. Just the physical stuff you can see like that would make me wary enough, there are allso mentions of loose caps here in there if you read around enough in enough places. from my digging around it looks like close to $300 is a steep price to pay for something like this, before you even consider any sorts of fun that may or may not be built into the chipset itself.

It is hotter than HE!!,I don't know why but all of a sudden my idle temp is 48C and almost 70 C underload,I have the Typhoon cooler and have reseated it twice today,still the same.
2 days ago it ran Orthos for 10 hours and the temp never got over 64 C so I am @ a loss.
The chipset is ungodly hot:(

I decided to look under the chipset to see if there was something to do to cool it better,here is what I found.
I cleaned it and added some AS5,looks and feels like plummers puddy.......

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 624
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 727
Blotch AAaaahoyyyy! Looks like overkill on the TIM. Probably need it due to the uneven surfaces.

I am not good with a camera,but when I cleaned it off,the outer edges around the chip was discolored,almost looked burnt,but it is running fine..Knock on wood...

My god, thats enough TIM to drown any one of us captian Krag!

Dave 65: since you been around a while, i would guess that you might not apply TIM that way, so thats really the way it came from the factory?

i mean, i recall my old p4p800-D back in the day just had a little square of pink bubble-gummy stuff on the NB. I dont really have any interest here without owning the board, or even wanting one, but as an overclocker who is in the target market of this board, i am appaled.

orionlion82 said:
My god, thats enough TIM to drown any one of us captian Krag!

Dave 65: since you been around a while, i would guess that you might not apply TIM that way, so thats really the way it came from the factory?

i mean, i recall my old p4p800-D back in the day just had a little square of pink bubble-gummy stuff on the NB. I dont really have any interest here without owning the board, or even wanting one, but as an overclocker who is in the target market of this board, i am appaled.

Yes sir it sure did,im not the only one looky here.

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21626&whichpage=28

holy crap thats alot of tim.... i should take the chipset sinks off and reapply tim before i boot the board.

did using ac5 help with temperatures? or fix any issues?

if so, by how much, and what issues?

Back