• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling an AMD 1.4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver.C.

Registered
Ello,
I am putting together a 1.4GHz Tbird system and I have a question about cooling. I have pretty much decided that I would like to cool my system with water but that is where I get a little lost. Because I have never done anything like this before, much less build a computer. So I'm kinda baptising myself in fire so to speak.

I like the products that Danger Den has but I am not too sure about how it all works. With other companies when you get/or make a kit you need a radiator to bring the heat out of the case etc. I was thinking of putting together my own kit from DD and using the MAZE2-2 copper block. It says that you can put a peltier in it between the block and the cold pad, but I am not sure about this. I looked on their pre-made kits and none of them had radiators, just pelts. On that note how does it work? Does the pelt cool off the water instead of a radiator? If this is sort of how it works does the case get hot at all? At this point I am totally confused, so if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me a tip I would like that.

Furthermore is Danger Den a good company to make a watercooling set from? I am all new to this so if anyone could elaborate on any of these points I would appreciate it a alot.

Thanks

-Julian

Yep, the DD kits are excellent and they come with the cooling cube radiator.

Second, since you are new to all this I'd strongly suggest you wait on adding a peltier. Peltiers can be lethal to a computer even in the hands of an experienced system builder because they produce below-ambient temperatures. This causes condensation inside the computer, so you have to do some special preparation to avoid having the condensation short out your cpu/mainboard. You also have to consider the rather extreme power requirements of a high-wattage peltier--chances are your built-in power supply will not be enough to handle it, in which case you'd have to order a separate PS to power the pelt.

The DD kit by itself (without peltier) should be sufficient to allow a pretty substantial overclock, and it's set up so you can add a peltier later on if you want to.

Incidentally, you still need a radiator if you use a peltier unit. Basically what the peltier does his help transfer the heat from the cpu to the water. It also creates alot of its own heat, so you still need a radiator to transfer the heat out of the water, and you still need case fans to lower the case temperatures (but not as many as you would need with air cooling).

Back