• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What on earth is wrong with my 6800gt???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wam said:
Moral, if you're moving from ATI to NVidia sometimes a fresh install is needed.

And just think.....The thread starter made his observation on a completely partitioned HDD. Meaning, nvidia drivers were the only drivers installed. :eek:

thats the highest reported fps for farcry on a 6800GT that i have seen, even when i OC mine to 450/1.15 with my CPU at 2.54ghz 230x11 my fps dips into the low 20s....
Using the /r_displayinfo 1 I watched the FPS and most of the time it was at 50+ fps I didn't see it drop below 45 fps. When I get back I'll see if Fraps can record at half the res.

And just think.....The thread starter made his observation on a completely partitioned HDD. Meaning, nvidia drivers were the only drivers installed.
I'm sure he must have edited that in after my post :bang head
Hmm, there was me extrapolating from the similarity in our problems and prescribing a simplistic solution.... [goes away perplexed]

Wam said:
I'm sure he must have edited that in after my post :bang head

Seeing that he made the statement a few days before you posted yours, and seeing he didn't edit nothing.....I think that is incorrect?

Nevertheless........I would take the GT over my 9600xt anyday!

Seeing that he made the statement a few days before you posted yours, and seeing he didn't edit nothing.....I think that is incorrect?
I thought that the :bang head would have indicated that I was embarrassed by own ineptness in missing his comments on already doing a fresh install. :)

Nevertheless........I would take the GT over my 9600xt anyday!
I concur with that! I'm glad I changed from my 9800pro as well. Although I would have ideally stayed with ATI, especially in light of the problems that are lurking around.

I must be a lucky one. I havent had any issues visually with my GT. FarCry plays flawless and I do get very good speeds, although even at 455/1.16 I dont get a constant 50fps. I was playing last night and at the regulator part it was between 30-40 with lots of action. My 3dmarks are 12970 now, but I know I am cpu limited. I have a new A64 3400+ sitting on my desk at home, and I am confident it will put me well into the 13000's once overclocked. Maybe with some good water cooling on it I can get 14000! I did notice some jaggies in CS source last night and that was with AF x16 and AA 6x. They just updated the game a few days ago and I hadnt seen it before.

Nandro said:
I must be a lucky one. I havent had any issues visually with my GT. FarCry plays flawless and I do get very good speeds, although even at 455/1.16 I dont get a constant 50fps. I was playing last night and at the regulator part it was between 30-40 with lots of action. My 3dmarks are 12970 now, but I know I am cpu limited. I have a new A64 3400+ sitting on my desk at home, and I am confident it will put me well into the 13000's once overclocked. Maybe with some good water cooling on it I can get 14000! I did notice some jaggies in CS source last night and that was with AF x16 and AA 6x. They just updated the game a few days ago and I hadnt seen it before.

Which begs the question is Gainward doing something different with their board design then the other companies that use the reference card? I haven't seen anyone with a Gainward complaining about shimmering, VP issues, freezing, or game performance issues.

Maybe it's just a coencidence or I missed a post where someone had a Gainward with problems (other then the one hardware failure) but does raise the question why are the problems only on reference desgined 6800's.

who said its only in the reference design? gainward does not redesign the nv40 for their cards, and that is the only way to fix it, seeing as they don't provide special drivers that i know of.

some ppls eyes pick up subtle detail better than others. some ppl pick up detail much worse than others. if nandro isn't noticing, then great, but that doesn't mean that you or i wouldn't with the very same card.

nandro - have you looked at my pics? do your shadows look like that? when you wander around levels with grass does the foliage appear only when you get close to it?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
who said its only in the reference design? gainward does not redesign the nv40 for their cards, and that is the only way to fix it, seeing as they don't provide special drivers that i know of.

some ppls eyes pick up subtle detail better than others. some ppl pick up detail much worse than others. if nandro isn't noticing, then great, but that doesn't mean that you or i wouldn't with the very same card.

Nobody said, it's just a observation thus far and hense why it was a question not a fact. Can anyone find something different?

I agree and know Gainward doesn't redesign the nv40 but they do design their board differently then others. The one things that makes them stand out from the crowd. Is it possible there's a fundimental design issue with the board that everyone else uses and why we don't see it from Gainward?

I agree IQ is very subjective and most everyone will give a different response or at the very minimum have a difference in opionion over what looks good and what doesn't.

To people saying, I don't see a problem with me card. Well if that is the only card you have, then there is nothing that you can make a good direct comparison to. People with BOTH cards are saying with the same machine and software and everything but the vid cards being different that there is a difference in the visual quality between the two cards. And I beleive it because it has been the case for a very long time. ATI just has better visual quality in more games and there is no arguing that. How GOOD or dramatic a difference that visual quality is, well that's a debateable opinion. Is the difference good enough that most people will recognize it? Perhaps in some games and not others, or perhaps not at all.

bobmanfoo said:
thats the highest reported fps for farcry on a 6800GT that i have seen, even when i OC mine to 450/1.15 with my CPU at 2.54ghz 230x11 my fps dips into the low 20s....

If that is the truth.....im sorry.

Back