• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What security programs do they need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kirby7777

Registered
I was doing a clean up of my sons' computers. Sons are 16 & 11 yo.

Found out there are some unknown programs that got installed somehow. Some considered by NOD 32 as unsafe/infiltration. They probably got installed while they were playing internet games or visiting some unsafe websites.

They already have these programs in their Win 7 64bits computers.

NOD 32 ver 4 or 5
Spybot search and destroy
Windows Defender

I just added in Malwarebytes Anti Malware Pro

Interesting to see that different programs pick up different risks/infiltrations. So I think they do compliment each other.

I have cautioned them about taking due care when visiting websites.

Please comment if I need to beef up the security by adding or changing any programs?

Thanks.

1. Make sure that the kids have their own password-protected account(s) with standard user access only.
  2. Use Family Safety
  3. Install the latest version of Firefox with noscript and adblock and make it family policy that it's the only browser to be used (delete IE shortcuts and start menu items).

As far as AV goes, you may have more than you need; lots of redundancy and potential conflicts there. Nod32 and Malwarebytes should be enough; my preference, however would be Kaspersky Internet Security and Malwarebytes.

Keep 'em busy doing things 'outside' the computer, so when they do get their limited computer time it's not doing stupid stuff and wandering aimlessly. PC users with purpose rarely get infected.

They'll have plenty of time to waste their brains as adults at a desk job.

All the subtle layers in the world won't keep the computers virus free if they like wandering the web and click every link their friends send them. If their time is limited they will ration it better.

I won't tell you what or what not to do but I always keep these programs handy on my system, even though I haven't had a threat on my computer for well over 3 years now..

Clamwin AntiVirus
SuperAntiSpyware
Spybot

i tried all those freebie stuff on my parents PC, but they end up getting infected anyway.
I installed Kaspersky Internet Security and they've been good for over a year.
you can get it free after rebates at various times during the year.

Back