• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHAT THE HELL!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rainless

Old Member
Are these prices for real? Or did Newegg get bought out by Bernie Madoff?

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.37.21 AM.png

650 bucks for the SIX GIG rtx 2060?!?!

What madness is this!?!

I just got my 2060 Super (8GB) for like 275 bucks... BRAND NEW... with a coupon! What the hell am I looking at?

Lack of stock for the latest generation AMD and Nvidia GPUs + 3rd party sellers = this.

Been this way for weeks/months. :(

Yup I seen an MSI 2080 Super Gaming X Trio on Amazon selling for 1800 CDN which I bought last spring for 1100 ish. Prices have gone stupid.

Third party sellers

Lack of stock for the latest generation AMD and Nvidia GPUs + 3rd party sellers = this.

Been this way for weeks/months. :(

Maybe I just never understood what Newegg really was... I always assumed they were an online computer shop like Microcenter... Why the hell do they even HAVE third party sellers? Was it always like this? I thought Newegg was like Frys or something?

Anyway... This pandemic scalping thing is COMPLETELY out of control. I don't care how you feel about the "free market" and all that... this is NUTS.

Newegg and Ebay and all these idiots have GOT to put a stop to this just like they did when people started buying up all the ppe and hand sanitizer and selling it for 1000% the cost. At a certain point you've gotta draw the line...

Okay: This guy is selling a 2060 for 350... that guy is selling one for 380. No big deal. But once they start selling them for $20,000... it's time to step in while you still have a STORE that anybody believes in.

Last edited:
Problems with production and BTC mining caused that all good cards disappeared ... or never appeared in stores. The same with high wattage PSUs and some other things. What's left is so rare that all bump prices. Think that some still wait for cards ordered 3 months ago :p

Maybe I just never understood what Newegg really was... I always assumed they were an online computer shop like Microcenter... Why the hell do they even HAVE third party sellers? Was it always like this? I thought Newegg was like Frys or something?

Newegg is just an "e-tailer" or maybe an online store which nowadays also works with other stores (like Amazon design). In a typical design, it's like manufacturers ship stuff to distributors, they ship it to sub-distributors, they ship it to stores, and here depends on many factors are smaller stores or end-users. In the current version somewhere between distributors and end-users appear those who buy-out everything and sell on auctions or in their smaller stores bumping prices.
I see third-party sellers more like those who bought something cheap and sell it on auctions like eBay, forums, or anything else with an additional profit ... like a much higher margin.

In the US it looks generally not so bad as on the way from manufacturers, there are not many stops. In the EU, there are multiple distributors, larger stores, smaller stores, and everything else +additional shipping costs, taxes, etc on the way. I often see US forum members complaining at prices while I see 25-30% higher prices in local stores so really, it still could be worse ;)

Last edited:
Newegg, years ago (around 2014 IIRC), expanded to have an online market to sell other's wares. That said, I ALWAYS check off the "sold by newegg" option at first to see what they have before I go into its 'marketplace'. Outside of GPUs and this wonky situation we've been in for the last few months, typically prices are in the ballpark of Newegg, but there are always outliers as there is in any marketplace. :thup:

Newegg was never like MC or Frys.... AFAIK, they never had a brick and mortar/retail store you could walk into and buy something.

Last edited:
I think a large change that happened is when they were acquired by a company from China (Liason) back in 2016. That's when a lot of people started noticing things leaning more towards third party, customer service went down hill, etc.

This is ALL news to me... Obviously I've been out of the States for decades now... but I always thought Newegg was some kinda West Coast retailer with amazing prices. I never realized it was more like an Amazon thing. I only ever bought one or two things from them. I probably bought more stuff HERE than I ever did on Newegg...

I checked online here and all the prices are still the same... they just don't appear to have any stock.

I could've gotten a 3080 just before the last lockdown if I'd wanted one. I think I'm good on ANY technology until they straighten this mess out.

I've got my 2060 Super... I've got my Series X... I could easily wait out this entire video card and console generation and not even bother to check in on the struggle til it's over.

Newegg was solid pre-acquisition, but Janus is right, since 2016, customer service and the name in general has gone downhill.

Did where you check have a 'marketplace' for 3rd party sellers? If not, then that is apples to oranges. These are 3rd party sellers on Newegg. Again, all you need to do is to selected SOLD BY NEWEGG and that goes away (default shows all sellers).

We all felt (and still feel) the same way about these GPUs and CPUs...glad you've caught up. :)

The used market for 10 series cards is crazy here. 20 series and 30 series is just.. well a 3060Ti for 900 here and 3070 for 1050.

Virtually no difference between Newegg and Amazon. They look more and more alike each day. :eh?:

Micro Center for CPU's.:thup:
Newegg and Amazon for everything else depending on Price and Stock. I love getting packages from either.:cool:

haha $1600 for a 2060...

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Anyway... This pandemic scalping thing is COMPLETELY out of control. I don't care how you feel about the "free market" and all that... this is NUTS.

Newegg and Ebay and all these idiots have GOT to put a stop to this just like they did when people started buying up all the ppe and hand sanitizer and selling it for 1000% the cost. At a certain point you've gotta draw the line...

Okay: This guy is selling a 2060 for 350... that guy is selling one for 380. No big deal. But once they start selling them for $20,000... it's time to step in while you still have a STORE that anybody believes in.

You think NewEgg and eBay give two craps about price gouging? They are just as bad as the scalpters themselves. Their sole concern is making as much money as possible. How that occurs they dont care.

haha $1600 for a 2060...

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

You think NewEgg and eBay give two craps about price gouging? They are just as bad as the scalpters themselves. Their sole concern is making as much money as possible. How that occurs they dont care.

Oh they can be MADE to care... Like Microsoft just was when they tried to double or triple the price of Xbox Live Gold. All it takes is a strong enough negative response.

If I was really angry enough (like if I was ACTUALLY still living in the States and had a horse in the race) I could get the Cancel Culture people working on Newegg. They've seriously got nothing better to do since the mass exodus of people from L.A....

Look this is a 1st world issue, really not a problem. Nobody is going to starve or go homeless because they can't get a high-end GPU or gaming system. Too expensive for you? Don't buy it.

Second, this is not the first time this has happened due to mining. Were you under a rock then too?

Don't like Amazon or Newegg for hosting 3rd party rip-off sellers? Then don't buy from them. Buy from Best Buy, Microcenter, or a local shop.

Plus you have everything you need, so why are you raging over something as trivial as this that has no affect on you at all?

Check out my thread in vendor discussion.

If I was really angry enough (like if I was ACTUALLY still living in the States and had a horse in the race) I could get the Cancel Culture people working on Newegg. They've seriously got nothing better to do since the mass exodus of people from L.A....

I doubt cancel culture is even interested in taking down Newegg. I 100% do not agree with allowing their 3rd party sellers to gouge, Newegg comboing up desirable cards with (IMO) mostly junk RAM/PSUs and now even raffling them off. But, I seriously doubt you are going to rally enough of Newegg's meat and potatoes clientele to abandon a company they've had a relationship with. Some relationships pushing 2 decades.

Pay for some decent bot rejecting software and do it right. Currently I feel EVGA's wait list the most pleasant even though that is not how I got my card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back