• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to decide X800 GTO at 128mb or X800GTO at 256mb??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fohijgmz

I started building a new system and its primary purpose is gaming.
I got a SAPPHIRE X800GTO 128MB. Although I don't know if getting the 256Mb version will be any better. both specs are the same..
Brand SAPPHIRE
Model 100139L
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon X800GTO
Core clock 400MHz
PixelPipelines 12
Memory
Memory Clock 700MHz
Memory Size 128MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR2
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
Interface
Interface PCI Express x16
Ports
D-SUB 1
DVI 1
TV-Out HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO No
General
Tuner None
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2048x1536@85Hz

The specs for the 256MB model are the same except for the type of memory
It has GDDR3

Last edited:
6 months ago I would probably say forget about the 256MB ram, but now, with the amount of textures new games have, I would say you would see an improvement with the 256MB version, especially when overclocking.

I have had the pleasure of playing Oblivion with exactly the two cards you mentioned, on an identical system. Both cards overclocked to 540/540, the framerate in Oblivion was visibly faster on the 256mb version, to my surprise. The resolution was 1920x1200 with no AA, and all options on HIGH. I was surprised either card handled this, but they both did. The main difference was in just walking around or checking out the scenery (it is beautiful in Oblivion). The 256mb version was definitely faster by at least 5fps. However, both cards would stutter a bit while fighting (in the game), and there would be a bit of a frame-rate drop.

Trypt said:
6 months ago I would probably say forget about the 256MB ram, but now, with the amount of textures new games have, I would say you would see an improvement with the 256MB version, especially when overclocking.

Do you know of any benchmarking info that you could tell me of.....
I'm still not quite sure...
128MB GTO was $104 and I could get the 256MB GTO for $143..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102601

Any help will be welcomed..

Back