• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to upgrade to gain most performace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freelancer071

Registered
Since my PC has been running a little slow lately, I think it's time I gave it a much needed performance boost.

So here are my current specs:
Tualeron 1.3 @ 1.67 GHz
512MB PC133
GF4 Ti4200 @ 300/625 MHz

Since my budget is not unlimited (plus, the recent permanent BlackScreenOfDeath on my monitor didn't have a positive impact on my budget :)), I only have enough $$$ to either get a new mobo+cpu+ram or new vidcard. Basically, the plan is to upgrade one thing now, and the other after six months.

My question is:
What would boost my performance the most: Upgrading mobo+cpu+ram or the vidcard? I suspect that my old platform is becoming a real bottleneck and I'm not sure if a fast radeon/geforce could even make good use of its potential. I've been reviewing various reviews for the past few days and I have noted that reviewers have a tendency to use very fast CPUs. I've noticed that the Ti4200 performs quite well if it is combined with a fast system (which I do not have :)). So what should I do? Ditch the i815 or put something much stronger into my AGP slot?

Thank you for your feedback.
Freelancer

I would upgrade the mobo+CPU+mem. You'll get a noticeable difference in all applications, not just in games!

I would suggest an Abit AI7 + 2.4C + some generic PC3200 for an intel system.

I would upgrade the mobo+CPU+mem. You'll get a noticeable difference in all applications, not just in games!

I second that. However if you decide to go with AMD, go with a 2500XP, Epox EP-8RDA3+ or abit NF-7, with some nice corsair XMS PC3200.

MB/CPU/RAM. Your 4200 runs recent games fine as long as you leave AA/AF off. Plus video card prices are sort of in flux right now. Odds are they'll drop/stabilize after the holidays, and/or when the next generation parts from NVIDIA and ATI come out in a few months.

Yeah I agree with everyone else. You will still be able to play games for some time on your 4200 (maybe not with all the eye candy turned on) but the rest of your system is going to be a huge bottleneck for a new video card so your best money is on a new mobo/cpu/memory.

Back