• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED what to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dunning3075

Registered
My current system:
MS Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit
AMD Athlon II X2 240 35 °C
Regor 45nm Technology
2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785GM-US2H (Socket M2)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
233GB Seagate ST3250310AS ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
xpower 585 psu
I am going to eventually do a complete rebuild. I have been on several forums and have been told this is the best. I have a few options I will list and see what you guys think. I have a very small budget this time around all options include a psu upgrade cause from what I understand it is a must.

Option 1: buy a 6670 ddr3 cost 130.00 with psu
option 2: buy a 550ti with psu is 179.00

I will either go with an amd or a intel upgrade on cpu later. I just really want to be able to play a few more games than I can right now. The thought process behind the 6670 is this: If i buy the 6670 it will get me through till income taxes. Then I will build me a computer that I want and give this one to the wife. By then the gpus will have went down and I can get what i want.

I am also interested in weather I can or if its a good idea to overclock my cpu or not. I am pretty new to computers and am just really looking for some help any advice guys???

I currently play league of legends alot. I am starting to play d3 some. I would like to play skyrim and a few others however it dosent have to be a t high resolutions My monitor is only
1366 x 768.

if i buy the 6670 is my cpu going to bottle neck it so bad that i wont see alot of difference from my current 4350?

The 6670 will be a great leap. You will not see bottlenecking, the new GPU will blow your socks off in Skyrim if you have a bottleneck or not. Skyrim is very graphics intensive.

You won't be disappointed.

Now, lets talk about your PSU though............... Got a link to it? Could be a cheapo and suspect. Your new card wants more power can it do it?

the 6670 would be a nice jump, and when you build your new system, you can just get another 6670 and xfire them. LOL plays fine on my i3 laptop with Intel HD 3000, Diablo 3 not so well, it plays but laggy, Syrim I have not even tried LOL.

but the 6670 should be fine with your CPU, i beleive your socket is a AM2, you should be able to also find a used AM2 Athlon x4 top put in there as well, about $200 for the vid and cpu, that should hold ya over for a little while, but the GPU would give ya the most bang/buck

My board is actually am3/am2+ and can support up to a phenom ii x4 965 125 watt. the board is just old and only has ddr2 so want to wait and either go intel or a much stronger amd after income taxes if its doable. From what you guys are telling me it seems to be ok to do what I was thinking.

Hit thread tools at the top of this page, then hit marked as solved. :)

attachment.php

Back