• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best GPU for around £130?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryansmelliott

Registered
Ok so my son's birthday is coming up in March and he wants a PC to play games on i have already got some bits just lying around

AMD x4 920
4GB Memory
Crosshair III Mobo
Corsair 500W CX

and im looking to get a GPU im looking to spend about £130 on a card but whats the best for money at the mo he likes playing Minecraft, Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2

i have been looking at the AMD HD 7850 there going for about £135..

any help would be awesome

Thanks Ryan

Didn't really want to go much more as £130 was sort of my top end, you think it worth going that little bit more then?

Mmmm ok. don't mind pushing a little bit if its going to be worth it and the 7870 is a good gaming card?

What is your resolution? If you play at 1080p then 2GB vs 1GB vRAM will help. Although perhaps apart from BF and Skyrim all games should be fine with 1GB on 1080p, I'm sure there will be games released this year (or very soon) which won't.

Here's XFX 7870 for £162.94 which includes two free games. It has locked voltages so you won't be able to OC it too much.

The cheapest Sapphire I could find was £179.74

Here's 2GB MSI 7850 for £147

If you could squeeze a few extra quid out of somewhere, I'd recommend to go for the HD 7870. Perhaps you could look a bit more; they may be a better deal somewhere.

it would be in 1080 but like i said he's not really playing top end games, Minecraft, Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2. ill go for the 7870 just so if he wants later on to get more PC games he can. i was looking at the Nvidia side but they have gone up in price!! i got my EVGA GTX 570 for £189 now there silly money WHY!!

this is just like intel vs amd^^
not helpful..nor remotely accurate.

becasue nvidia is 'better" than amd or think of it like intel vs amd
where intel = better but expensive and amd = best bang for your buck.
Nice ninja edit... still not accurate.. at leas the first part.

Last edited:
Both do the same thing at the end of the day right? and ill order the 7870 Monday, only reason i didn't want to spend to much is we already got him a WiiU for his birthday and some other stuff. Bleed me dry lol

I'd drop to the 7850 with your budget. I think this entire thread forgot that parts are relatively more expensive elsewhere. Hell, 1GB 7850s are like 140 quid, you pushed this poor guy like 40% over his budget. A 2GB 7850 is still a bit over 130, but it's worth it.

Thanks Knufire but i have now ordered the 7870 =( yeah i didn't want to spend any more then £130 (ended up spending £170) but its fine its done now just sorting out the other bits, i have lost the back plate for the Crosshair Mobo so end set up will be

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
4GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHZ HYPERAM MEMORY
PowerColor HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 (V2)
Biostar A780L3C Socket AM3 VGA 6 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
Corsair 500W CX Builder
AvP Defender 100 Mini Tower

all bits from other PCs LOL

My 2 cents. My 560Ti has the same amount of CUDA cores 384 ,and your clocked higher than a 560Ti @ 1058 MHz vs 850 MHz,plus 2g of video ram for playing games that require high resolution textures.This is a solid choice for 144 dollars! Drivers is why I go this Nvidia route,but AMD has some sweet cards too!

Edit: I missed the part were you decided:)

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362159838&sr=1-17

Last edited:
Back