• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these two base-plate finishes would you rather have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
threeputt said:
Oh, do you want to hint us on who's block that is? Unless you somehow lapped the bottom wavy for this quiz?:)

No hints. I did not "create" the finish on the block. The block is utterly untouched and is just as it came from the original manufacturer. I just found it to be particularly useful for the demonstration.

Haven't read all the posts yet, but granted the limited flat picture I have to judge from... I would rather have the block on the right.

Looking at the grain, it would appear as though that block was lapped in a more straight forward lift repeat motion - while the shiny block was likely lapped in a circular motion and I'm guessing from another perspective that you would see its slightly convex, and impossible to get to sit nice and flat on a CPU die.

The block on the right may need more lapping, its hard to tell... But from what I can tell, I would bet the right block is flatter from the way it has been lapped so far, and would just need finer sanding if those imperfections are considerable enough... I would not want to go through the trouble of getting the block on the left from convex to flat though, bleh.

EDIT: That skeeter netting really makes it clear... Think we can get Joe to start using a skeeter netting test on the blocks/heatsinks he receives?

Last edited:
Then I have a question for you cathar. How has your own research into the famed precision of Swiftech blocks associated with the common review-item-in-mirror-like-finish positive test. In other words, are you less confident of their machining processes than the WC reviewer pundits or is Swiftech deserving?
Cathar never said that a polished baseplate cannot be shiny and flat as well (such is the case in swiftys products)
He is merely making people aware of the fact that the issue of flatness should be tested/considered before the issue of shinyness and reflecyivity.

Cathar said:
Really, it has to stop now. It has gotten out of hand. It's gotten to the point where anything that is shiny and reflective is perceived as great, yet anything that is non-reflective is perceived as crap, with absolutely no justification or intelligence behind the comments other than, "Ooh - shiny! It MUST be good!"

Hold on there, buddy, calm down. Just remember that half the people you meet are under average intellegence (obviously not the case @ocforums :p) and you'll understand your anger more.

I know that if its cheap to do en mass with machine lapping [and no forseable problems it can cause), why not go for the extra performance boost. But I don't think its of much issue (unless you're getting loads of PM's asking for Storm to be polished) to try convincing the world that polished doesn't always mean flat. AFAIK a fairly good handlap job is less than a few *C compaired to a perfectly flat base - the difference between a great pump and a 'normal' pump. But don't quote me on that, it was said to convey a point...

Also, I think Greystar has a point in asking "So...which one performed better?"...Cathar, you're the one always saying the final OC counts, not conjecture! :beer: :beer: :beer: ;)

HiProfile said:
Hold on there, buddy, calm down. Just remember that half the people you meet are under average intellegence (obviously not the case @ocforums :p) and you'll understand your anger more.

I know that if its cheap to do en mass with machine lapping [and no forseable problems it can cause), why not go for the extra performance boost. But I don't think its of much issue (unless you're getting loads of PM's asking for Storm to be polished) to try convincing the world that polished doesn't always mean flat. AFAIK a fairly good handlap job is less than a few *C compaired to a perfectly flat base - the difference between a great pump and a 'normal' pump. But don't quote me on that, it was said to convey a point...

Also, I think Greystar has a point in asking "So...which one performed better?"...Cathar, you're the one always saying the final OC counts, not conjecture! :beer: :beer: :beer: ;)

I hope you don't work for any of the aforementioned review sites....

there is no reason to settle for mediocrity, always pursue perfection

HiProfile said:

He's not angry, that statement you quoted was just a call to action, for reviewers,and for those reading them - we should demand better from the reviews, and be very weary when we read "this block is shiny, and it has an LED in the lexan, so it should have excellent contact with the die".

Also, I think it was a general public service observation he was sharing, nothing applicable to what he's working on really... There are those around here who need this distinction drawn out, as there are so many people posting pretty mirror-lapping jobs. People always seem impressed to see that, however what it means is not much.

The world may not need convincing, but helping those who wish to be informed become properly informed, is a respectable desire. I don't see what the premise of your post was I guess.

One thing that does bear investigation as well, and I don't know the answer on this one.

Take two small pieces of smooth & flat glass, such as what would be used to make a mirror.

Add a drop of water to one (perhaps with a non-particle based dye to assist), and put the two pieces of glass together.

Do the two pieces of glass even touch at all? What would be the effect of this on the efficacy of the CPU thermal contact (or lack thereof)?

Graystar said:
He's probaby perplexed as to how Cathar got such a great reflection of the net when you can barely see the reflection of the pen.

Take any object lapped to 400-grit or finer, hold it up at a sharp enough angle (45-60° from the perpendicular is usually sufficient) and you'll get a near mirror-like reflectivity.

This is evident in most places in the home even. Take a well finished and polished wooden table. Not reflective from face on, but get on an angle and it's like a mirror.

If you look at the image of the left block's mosquito net reflection, you can tell that it's much brighter. Right block's mosquito net reflection is almost dull looking compared to that. It just reflected enough in macro setting to see the mosquito net clearly...

threeputt said:
If you look at the image of the left block's mosquito net reflection, you can tell that it's much brighter. Right block's mosquito net reflection is almost dull looking compared to that. It just reflected enough in macro setting to see the mosquito net clearly...

It's also quite hard to take these pictures clearly due to the different closely placed focal lengths involved. Using a flash also usually ends up with a bright blurry mess. Using no flash, as is required, with my digitial camera means trying to be as still as possible otherwise I just end up with blurry pictures.

Back