• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why am i seeing RGB hate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Nowadays, With computer hardware coming out with RGB, im thinking to myself "FINALLY! THIS! This is something i ALWAYS wanted to have."

If you couldnt tell from the pictures i posted about the LED christmas lights i got last year or the RGB fans i installed in my Corsair Crystal 570x, the g810 keyboard and g502 mouse i purchased, i am a HUGE fan of RGB lights.

Sometimes, i like to take a "quick" nap while staring at the colorful lights in the case.

Even my dad likes it along with the transparent windows on the case.

Heck, when my brother in law saw mine, he wanted to build something just like mine and water cool it.

-So my question is-

Why are some people, including computer enthusiasts, so grey and monochrome about it?

I have a feeling that if the haters get any louder about it, companies like asus and gigabyte will hear them and take out RGB entirely.

Nowadays, With computer hardware coming out with RGB, im thinking to myself "FINALLY! THIS! This is something i ALWAYS wanted to have."

If you couldnt tell from the pictures i posted about the LED christmas lights i got last year or the RGB fans i installed in my Corsair Crystal 570x, the g810 keyboard and g502 mouse i purchased, i am a HUGE fan of RGB lights.

Sometimes, i like to take a "quick" nap while staring at the colorful lights in the case.

Even my dad likes it along with the transparent windows on the case.

Heck, when my brother in law saw mine, he wanted to build something just like mine and water cool it.

-So my question is-

Why are some people, including computer enthusiasts, so grey and monochrome about it?

I have a feeling that if the haters get any louder about it, companies like asus and gigabyte will hear them and take out RGB entirely.

I think alot of the hate comes from the fact we would rather have them take that RGB off and spend that $ to make a product that works better.
Im not a hater of RBG but was happy to go Black and white like Fractals stock colors with black tubing and White leds .

Don't discount personal taste when it comes to anything. Performance doesn't have to be colorless nor bland. Do your own thing, expect others to do likewise. I seriously doubt that the folks that produce the hardware haven't done their marketing homework. Nothing wrong with bling. Just ask any entertainer. Many of them developed awesome talent first, then dressed for the occasion.

I don't hate bling. My mobo, VGA, and case all have lighting. But too much of anything is too much. LOL That's why ice cream comes in different flavors. :D

@||Console|| @Robert17

I can only see that making sense for motherboards, ram and graphics cards along with power supplies although im not sure if RGB PSUs are becoming a big thing...yet...

But for case fans, keyboards, mice, cases, etc. i dont see how it can be that much of a big deal. Is there not a wide variety of RGB and non RGB versions of the same or similar product?

@Alaric

My thoughts exactly.

I find it dumb that virtually every component now has RGB lighting in some fashion, but if it is what people want, then so be it. Granted, I'm no longer 16 and need all sorts of flashy lights/colors/windows on my case. I just want it to be quiet, efficient, and powerful for my work and in the rare times I have now to game. My wife and 3 year old couldn't care less about blinky lights that are a specific color.

I find it dumb that virtually every component now has RGB lighting in some fashion, but if it is what people want, then so be it. Granted, I'm no longer 16 and need all sorts of flashy lights/colors/windows on my case. I just want it to be quiet, efficient, and powerful for my work and in the rare times I have now to game. My wife and 3 year old couldn't care less about blinky lights that are a specific color.

I could say that about my whole rig. Other than the rare times I actually play a game, my rig is massive overkill for my day to day needs. I could use a phone for 95% of my uses. I get stuff because I can, and I want to (within the rigid constraints of budget). While I may not want a rig that looks like downtown Tokyo on a Saturday night, I appreciate the efforts I've seen where people have set up impressive light shows in a PC that still has great performance. I guess it's the thought, planning and effort that went in to coordinating all that that I like.

I don't care for any lights or covers over the motherboard. Flashy lights is for Christmas.

Hmm, 15 RGB components inside my case, 1 mouse pad outside it. I usually only have about 5 of them with the lights running, but sometimes I like to crank them all up, sync to music, and let the light show blast. The nicest part is having the control to set it to fit your mood.

Alaric nailed it smoothly as usual, it’s all about personal taste. My rig for example is black/white with no window, spends most of the time on ground level so even if it had RGB I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it. I do have a shiny keyboard and mouse. The rig my wife asked me to do on the other hand lights up like a Christmas tree, or it could be used to power a small Rave like a friend told me once...

Kinda like this one :

Last edited:
I could not care less of my PC look... A bit of cable management to not have spaghetti in the way and that's about it...

Lights I have are because the best price/quality items I bought had them: a couple of Corsair fans, H240X CPU block and case.

I am looking for performance, and don't show off my rig as I would (or not, lol) with my ride or my car.

Components and tubing are a mix of red, blue, black, red... Some duct tape and zip ties here and there... And I don'treally care of the case being windowed or not, as i removed both panels!

I can understand people like the bling though, no problem for me! To each one his own taste! (that would give me eye cancer though!).

My first build was in a terrible mid-tower, and after a couple years I had it so stuffed it looked like someone stuffed a server in a shoebox. With an ATX mobo, discrete VGA, bigger PSU, and zero room behind the mobo tray I decided to put an AIO in it. I had to mount the radiator in the side panel and set the fans to pull air through it from outside. With crappy red paint inside the black box it was a Frankenstein build by the time I got done. That's why my current build was all white with the cleanest build I could manage. White PSU sleeving in the near future, too. And some lighting so I can see all my PC cleanness when I want. I can match my case's outside lighting to the mobo and I/O panel and VGA lighting.
Here's what I came from:
Snapshot_20140518.JPG

This was in the process of the current rig:
Picture 6.jpg

So, yeah, I wanted to see the improvement. :clap:

Dear God! Did you catch the vandals?! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Alaric nailed it smoothly as usual, it’s all about personal taste. My rig for example is black/white with no window, spends most of the time on ground level so even if it had RGB I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it. I do have a shiny keyboard and mouse. The rig my wife asked me to do on the other hand lights up like a Christmas tree, or it could be used to power a small Rave like a friend told me once...

Kinda like this one :

I was looking for this for this thread! LMAO!

my storage box is a display case that hangs on the wall, I want all the bling bling I can get in that one.
my other blinger, my little bee fell in love with, it's in a mountain mods ufo case, led motherboard, led gpu's at times, 2 uv lights, uv reactive fluid, cable mods, sleeved cable kit, all other cables braided over, monsoon, dual bay led reservoir, nice clear top so you can see all the bling bling, but it sits under her sewing desk and she uses it to check her facebook twice a week and it's never seen, unless one of her friends is over........
forgot, four led fans on the front, 3 on the front of the rad and one in the single fan port.

Yeah I'm with Alaric. I don't mind a little bling/RGB, but these companies have gone bat guano crazy with RGB every freakin' thing! I ain't hatin', it's just too much RGB is just that...too much :facepalm:

Back