• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd POSTing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGondy

Registered
Hi there,

I am having some odd things happening during POST for my PC.

When I power on, the CPU is not identified for some time and the RAM takes a very, very long time to be recognised (about 20 seconds instead of the usual instantaneous). I have throttled back my overclocks for the time being to see if that helps.

Windows also takes about 2 minutes to load up instead of the usual 30 seconds or so.

This may be related, but I have seen SSH login failures and subsequent SSH user log outs on my router log page coupled with about 40MB of uploaded data by the process "system".

Has anyone seen this before? I'm worried I've fallen victim to a BIOS attack or something :chair:

Last edited:
You need to separate issues. I really doubt that router issues are related to your computers issues. If your think your router is compromised, reflash the router, reset the passwords and disable SSH logins. Why is external SSH login enabled anyway?

For your system, remove any devices that you don't need to boot the system and reset the CMOS/BIOS. If that works, start adding devices back on until all are connected or until it start happening again. If it still has issues after a reset and you haven't added any new hardware, I'd start by removing memory sticks (and swapping them if that doesn't help).

Post if that doesn't help.

You need to separate issues. I really doubt that router issues are related to your computers issues. If your think your router is compromised, reflash the router, reset the passwords and disable SSH logins. Why is external SSH login enabled anyway?

For your system, remove any devices that you don't need to boot the system and reset the CMOS/BIOS. If that works, start adding devices back on until all are connected or until it start happening again. If it still has issues after a reset and you haven't added any new hardware, I'd start by removing memory sticks (and swapping them if that doesn't help).

Post if that doesn't help.

I have neither enabled or disabled ssh logins. I have not come across such an option before. My router is supplued by my ISP, I have just purchased a 3rd party router for WiFi AC. The day I got the router I changed the its password to a long random alpha-numeric string (both to access the gui and wifi) and disabled upnp and wps. Is this a router or software issue?

I was planning a reformat and a RAM upgrade, so heres hoping those fix it.

I also remember the cpu once did not even appear, and the ram was instantaneous. All times I have hit windows and things have run fine. No instabilities noticed.

I also have a few external hdds attached, the problem only happened when I moved house and left them attched during post/boot. Can this be an issue?

I will dive in this afternoon after work. Thanks muchly for the advice.

So I've replaced the RAM (I already had the new kit to go) and it seems to have fixed the POSTing issue. Re-installing windows and security software. I'll just monitor my logs and hope nothin' comes up

Back