• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this PSU do the job

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

Well, the system in my sig is being rebuilt. Its been powered by an antec tp2.0 550w psu for 3 years now and has not had a single problem. I am going to try to OC a tad bit higher and im getting a new vid card soon also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019

this is the psu. I'm gonna be running:

AMD phenom x3 8750 BE @ 3.0GHZ+
4 GIGS OF 1066 DDR2 MEMORY(200-215 FSB)
ATI Radeon 4870 1 GB (just one)
1 dvd burner
Gigabyte ma 770 mobo
1 500 gig caviar black
1 750 gig caviar green
x-fi sound card
antec 300 w/ 4 120mm fans
zalman 9500 am2 cpu fan
(this system has been powered by the antec for some time now, just bought the new case, HAD a hipro 550w junk piece of trash that got RMA'd. I still have the antec but i want an upgrade so my pc is torn apart and im using the lappy toppy...oh and i plan to get the 4870 here soon )

what da ya say, is that 700 overkill? hopefully its still on sale friday when i get paid!!!

Your antec will be able to power that setup just fine, it is not necessary to upgrade for you .

I'm sure my antec will do just fine. I just want to be able to upgrade to a bigger and badder video card somewhere down the road possibly and want to have the PSU to support it. that xfx 4870 is only 146 bucks, but it kicks the pee out of my 8800GS by a long shot. the thing is i have 70 dollars in new egg dollars basically. Is there something else in that price range i could use? im ok on HDDs, Could possibly clear up some space with a SATA DVD/BDROM , not needed though, cant think of much morei could need.

There are better choices as far as quality for that money. Look at the PSU guide. Also, I believe ViperJon has a nice PSU for sale @ $95 that would be a solid performer now and in the fututre.

Get a 4890 instead of 4870 , that ocz PSU will not be an upgrade from your current antec.

Get a 4890 instead of 4870 , that ocz PSU will not be an upgrade from your current antec.

I guess im confused how. I know the antec is a true power 550, so its truely 550ish watts, what is so bad about that OCZ? The 600 wattage one is 2 dollars less right now and it's on the reccomended list. The 700 is far from that?

Anyone have any reccomendations around the 75ish dollar range then!?

Your antec has 45 Amps on the 12 volt, where 700 watt ocz has 56 amps , but every antec rail is rated for 20 amps where is ocz is only 18 amps for each rail so higher rail output of antec will be more suited for high end graphics card , but if u have money to spend and dont really care , there is no real harm both will be fine.

it is unlikely that any PSU in your price range will be considered a step up from your current one , just check how much it costs on newegg :)

Last edited:
Your antec has 45 Amps on the 12 volt, where 700 watt ocz has 56 amps , but every antec rail is rated for 20 amps where is ocz is only 18 amps for each rail so higher rail output of antec will be more suited for high end graphics card , but if u have money to spend and dont really care , there is no real harm both will be fine.

it is unlikely that any PSU in your price range will be considered a step up from your current one , just check how much it costs on newegg :)

ahh my psu was about 80 dollars when i bought it, its been discontinued for years on new egg. Mine was the older TPII antecs , i know now that they have another TP series out. I bought mine in 06'.

Back