• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Hotfix Q811493 Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

It hasn't happened to me but several people have noticed that this patch has been the cause of some severe slowdowns on their systems .

Links : http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...c3050b%24d3e8bbd0%242f01280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=1

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=10413&category=main#comments

http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=11858&mode=thread&order=0

Some advise to remove the patch for now using this method :

" To remove the patch: Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Find Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493 > Click Remove > ignore Warning > Reboot by clicking Finish "

Last edited:
Yea, I've spent a few hours trying to figure out why apps like word, ie, & most others started to take like 8 or 10 seconds to load. :mad: When they normaly load lightning fast. I finally started to uninstall recent patches and found that after uninstalling Q811493 that everything was back to normal. :D Wish I'd have checked out the forums first. Oh well, runs like a scaulded dog again. :clap:

Do you guys know if any other patches cause these problems on XP my system is kinda sluggish and I just did a fresh install of Win2K and XP.

hey i don't have that patch installed and neither it is available for download (i mean i did a scan for updates and it was not in recomended patches) but still at times my system act's wierd and slow which other patch do you think might be causing problem?

also lately (after patching windows) i have noticed that sygate personal firewall is not working, i can't see the status window and mouse cursor turns to waiting for 2 seconds and than nothing happens and getright randomly automatically closes

baqai said:
hey i don't have that patch installed and neither it is available for download (i mean i did a scan for updates and it was not in recomended patches) but still at times my system act's wierd and slow which other patch do you think might be causing problem?

also lately (after patching windows) i have noticed that sygate personal firewall is not working, i can't see the status window and mouse cursor turns to waiting for 2 seconds and than nothing happens and getright randomly automatically closes

I get that same problem on my secondary rig ( celeron 1Ghz , Win 98 320 MB ram , GF3 ) Sygate's firewall sometimes just isn't there . I have to restart in order to get the executable to run .

What is so depressing for me about the possibility of a MS patch causing such problems is that I keep my OSes very up to date , there are just too many patches to cycle through .

Moral of story ............. thank GOD for Win XP's system restore point option . I use it alot . Make system restore points of all major changes to hard/software and also when the computer is working well ! Thus when crap starts to happen it is alot easier to track down the culprit .

Thanks Cowboy, I've been looking for this culprit for quite sometime. I build machiens that are faster and faster yet they started to run slower and slower....

There is another thread about how you should not use Q329170 as well. I'm in the process of uninstalling both of these patches on my W2K network and I'll also take them off the home rig that runs XP pro.

Great catch, thanks again,

Wedo

Wedo said:
Thanks Cowboy, I've been looking for this culprit for quite sometime. I build machiens that are faster and faster yet they started to run slower and slower....

There is another thread about how you should not use Q329170 as well. I'm in the process of uninstalling both of these patches on my W2K network and I'll also take them off the home rig that runs XP pro.

Great catch, thanks again,

Wedo

Can you give a link to that other thread ?

I uninstalled the Hotfix and notice my rig is a little faster however MSN messenger is still not loading and my Internet explorer is still slow(not my bandwidth, just the open/closing of IE).
Edit:
I am watching my task manager as I open and close IE or even go from one page to another and the CPU usage is 100%....the computer locks up for a few secs..this did not happen 3 days a go!
I also noticed another prog(ACDSee) using 100% cpu where it normally does not.

Any tips here...?
Help!

Last edited:
Are u using Norton AV?

My Old Norton AV used to give long boot times. there is a fix HERE
I have not tried this particular fix but there are others that are specific to long boot ups due to Norton AV. There are a whole bunch of cool tweaks on this site....be patient and browse, you find the right one for you.
Good luck

P.S. The tweaks there helped me.

tnx for trying...but it didnt work..i do have norton antivirus...but that fix is for startup..my hang happens when i click restart/shutdown

Back