• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x38-ds4 + e8400 + 3870/50/x2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathis

Disabled
Hello everyone, I have noticed that this is a popular setup. I think we should have our own thread and post for mutual benefit, of course anyone is invited to comment/compare similar or completely dissimilar systems. But, let's try to keep it relevent. My most recent 3dmark06 results:

screen-1.jpg

I plan to update with a wide spread of benches/pics.

Last edited:
I can't read most of your pic :(

My rig in the sig.. :beer:

3DMark06: 19102 - My best crossfire score
3DMark06: 18098 - 24/7 Clocks, Crossfire
3DMark06: 12533 - Single card

Here, hopefully this is better:

This is my native resolution (1680x1050) with the filters.

screen-2.jpg

BTW, great scores! I need to go for a highscore to try to substantiate my TRIFIRE, but haven't gotten around to it yet b/c gaming has been working out great with stock.

What's the stats on your Wolfie, cuz I'm trying to feel out what I can do to lower my Vcore, which is a lot higher than yours.

Last edited:
Thanks, nice scores you have as well ;)

I think i just have a very good batch E8400 :(, you may not be able to lower you vcore any, assuming its unstable at lower any lower voltage?

Somethings screwy with my setup. Im at 3.9ghz for now but thats not what im worried about. Ive flashed bios f3 for the mobo but im getting messed up voltage readings with +12v showing 1v to 8v. It does this on all monitoring programs and ive verified with a meter thats its at 12.19v. All programs are the latest ones.

But what really is getting to me is that I cant see or adjust any clocks on the 3870 card. I like to use Radclocker because I can use stock settings normally but have each program have their own setttings. Ive used this great with my old x800 but this card is giving me trouble. Ati tool isnt showing any readings either. You guys have the same setup, what gives? :confused:

Dave

I use CCC to do a mild OC on my cards. The voltage readings are wrong for me too, i think its because the board is too new and no programs support it.

Yeah, I get the wierd voltage reading as well

Got the F3 BIOS, plan on tinkering with the fine tuning on the multiplier +/-.5x

screen-3.jpg

I also enjoy utilizing CCC to overclock my setup, but have yet to push anything with the Trifire b/c I'm waiting until NCAA bball is over today to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I did push the one 3870 when it was all that I had and reached about 12842 3dmarks in '06. My next goal is to hit about 21-22k in 3dmark06 with total reliability.

Last edited:
Got the F3 BIOS, plan on tinkering with the fine tuning on the multiplier +/-.5x

I also enjoy utilizing CCC to overclock my setup, but have yet to push anything with the Trifire b/c I'm waiting until NCAA bball is over today to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I did push the one 3870 when it was all that I had and reached about 12842 3dmarks in '06. My next goal is to hit about 21-22k in 3dmark06 with total reliability.

I'm still using F1 bios, have you noticed any difference between F1-F3?

F2 made my system much more stable and snappy. F3 added better memory support for various preexisting conflicts for the model, and added a +/-0.5 option for the CPU multiplier under the M.I.T. menu. Based upon my experience, I would definitely recommend an update to F3. The only update I haven't been totally satisfied with yet based off of completely subjective opinion is Vista SP1.

What do you have your memory strap set at? 2.00B, 2.00D? If 2.00D, could this possibly be faster for overall system peformance than 2.40B? Right now, I'm utilizing 2.40B, and my system is more stable, b/c of course the e8400 is rated for 1333 FSB. Just wondering. Been thinking of a 471 FSB * 8.5, which would net either 942 mHz or 1130 mHz memory. I would actually have to raise my memory voltage above 1.89 V to about 2.1 V to get the latter speed, which is what the voltage is supposed to be set at to get the stock 1000 mHz to begin with :).

Last edited:
That sounds good, I'm using the 1:1 ratio (2.00B i think?). I'm just hesitant to flash the bios, I'm scared I'll brick it. I have always went with the saying "if its not broke, don't fix it". :p

No big deal here man. The @BioS program provided by Gigabyte hasn't been really nerve racking. I would say the cost/benefit definitely favors just leaving it the way it is if you're happy with all of your current BIOS features. Hell, that might be a factor in your vcore being low, because I updated my bios to F2 before I ever OC'ed the processor.

Thanks for the info on the strapping, I think that really does make a difference, but just haven't figured out to what extent yet. I completely forgot that 1:1 was the preferred ratio for most people when I last changed my settings. My last setup was a mATX from ASUS, the A8N-VM CSM to be exact, that had nowhere near the options that I have now.:confused:

Last edited:
Back