• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbox 360 by christmas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

okay heres the deal,
for christmas my parents are going to by me a xbox 360 but im not sure if they can get it due to some rumors. by christmas are my parents going to be able to go to bestbuy or amazon and pick one up for me?

Amarkarian said:
okay heres the deal,
for christmas my parents are going to by me a xbox 360 but im not sure if they can get it due to some rumors. by christmas are my parents going to be able to go to bestbuy or amazon and pick one up for me?
No

I was talking to a tech guy (who works there) at circuit city while I was waiting for them to open. He was saying that M$ is promising to have weekly shipments and that there will be enough to go around by xmas. Not sure how true this is, but hey, who knows

Highly doubt that unless they get very luck man. March is when I'd expect to beable to just walk into a store and get one if its the same week they came in maybe.

sounds about right. Or least within a month after Christmas.

I don't know why people are so pessimistic about those things.

MS did this with the original Xbox. You were lucky to find for a few weeks after launch...but then suddenly several days before christmas you couldn't help but find them.

I'd bet money that come the 20th you'll be able to walk into any retial store and buy one with ease.

The problem of them crashing still remains though. Personally, even if I wanted one right now...I'd hold off and wait for them to get the overheating issues fixed.

telexen said:
I don't know why people are so pessimistic about those things.

MS did this with the original Xbox. You were lucky to find for a few weeks after launch...but then suddenly several days before christmas you couldn't help but find them.

I'd bet money that come the 20th you'll be able to walk into any retial store and buy one with ease.

The problem of them crashing still remains though. Personally, even if I wanted one right now...I'd hold off and wait for them to get the overheating issues fixed.

I worked at BB when it was originally released the XBox. And let me tell ya, i waited til feburary to get my hands on the system, this is coming from an employee that can hold items in the back room when they came in too. Its not as easy as you might think to get a hold of a new console thats been hyped up so much.

I'll take $1200 for my premium bundle :) Or a similar price before Christmas on Ebay because they will go back up. Right now you can get one for roughly 50% markup on Ebay.

Elsewise forget it.

(Mod note** I have absolutely no intention of letting mine go. We waited in line at Walmart for 19 hours and even for $1k I don't think I would part with it. Too sexy)

Places you shouldn't try to get an XBOX 360:

Places that took pre-orders.

Everywhere else is getting sporadic shipments of 360's. Best buy is NOT a good place to get it. Yet, places like Target, Walmart, etc... Those are your best shot...

If you want to check those places, I recommend finding out when they get their trucks in and being there before hand. Let management know what you are there to pick up. They will prob get annoyed, but if they get them (doubtful) they will be first come.

I heard from a local Walmart employee that Walmart will not get anymore until M$ is able to fill everyones preorders.

Devo711 said:
They are buggy as hell. I know they're suuuuuuuuuuper sexy but I don't think I could deal with all that. My $0.02.

Your basing your $0.02 off of? I know my 360 has been perfect. It has yet to have any sort of overheating issue. It has froze twice with madden. Not from heat though, because I restart and play for hours again, without any more problems. It has played COD2 for hours on end without any problems whatsoever. Obviously it is a problem with Madden, not the 360 itself.

Amarkarian said:
okay heres the deal,

I want to say flat out No, but instead I will say doubtful. Almost every shipment coming in is on some sort of pre-order pretty much, don't even bother with gamestop or waste your time as you won't get one.

Devo711 said:
They are buggy as hell. I know they're suuuuuuuuuuper sexy but I don't think I could deal with all that. My $0.02.

Ummmm no they are not buggy as hell, I've played a handful of games for a good chunk of time and I think I've noticed once in PDZ a game bug. Either way it beats PC in PC Game buggyness. Don't believe a handful of isolated cases.

snyper1982 said:
Your basing your $0.02 off of? I know my 360 has been perfect. It has yet to have any sort of overheating issue. It has froze twice with madden. Not from heat though, because I restart and play for hours again, without any more problems. It has played COD2 for hours on end without any problems whatsoever. Obviously it is a problem with Madden, not the 360 itself.

The two cases my friend dealt with at his gamestop store, both turned out to be the customers fault one dropped the system & the other had it crammed in the back of his cabnit with zero ventilation.. All the one's online seem to be the same (Over Heating or Hard Drive Issues). Honestly it wouldn't shock me if a good chunk of these turned out to be user faults by non proper ventlation, but I know a few are flat out Bad Faulty Systems.

Last edited:
For 2.5 mil or however many shipped worldwide, I can't believe people are ****ing their pants over a handful of people having problems.

Only complaint I have with my system is I get a refresh issue everyonce in a while. Kind of very minor screen tearing, thougth it was my dlp not able to keep up but also does it on my samsung crt.

Gabbiani said:
For 2.5 mil or however many shipped worldwide, I can't believe people are ****ing their pants over a handful of people having problems.

Only complaint I have with my system is I get a refresh issue everyonce in a while. Kind of very minor screen tearing, thougth it was my dlp not able to keep up but also does it on my samsung crt.

What is your hdtv settings at? I had mine set at 1080i, when I changed it to 720p, i didn't get it anymore.

You get page tearing on a DLP? Man, I bought the best buy brand LCD for my bedroom and I get no problems whatsoever. $800 for a 26" LCD flat panel. Looks amazing. :p

As for all the comments about the 360 being "buggy as hell," mine has yet to have even the slightest hiccup. I LOVE it. Need for Speed Most Wanted is beautiful to behold and the game play is incredible. Call of Duty 2 is really exciting. I've never played a game where I've felt so surrounded by everything that makes a war (at least what movies have made it out to be). NBA 2K6 is so detailed, you can see the sweat on the players.

People probably have problems because they put the 360 up against stuff that prevents ventilation or covers up the air holes. I love mine.

Back