• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 5850 checkered artifacts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moustiq77

Registered
Ok, I guess my issue is slightly different than the "flickering" thread, I decided to create a new one...

I was doing a massive upgrade to my wife's machine. Soon after the XP install I have encountered the following:

If I move a window on screen, the window quickly gets "brushed" completely white from these artifacts. Minimize-maximize "clears" it.

My guess is this has something to do with the video card, so I posted it here.

Setup:

XP Media Center Service Pack 3 (no other updates) freshly installed in AHCI mode.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz
4(3.5)GB of Ram
mother GA-EP43T-USB3 (F2)
video XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB / Catalyst 10.12
PSU Corsair CMPSU-750TX

The artifacts do not show up after every boot-up. Reboot clears it. I have not confirmed if the phenomenon happens only from the "cold start" yet. All parts of the system are new, except for the processor/cooler, case, hdd and dvd-drive.

If you have encountered something like this, please comment. I can still exchange the card with Newegg.

P.S. I am familiar with the "flickering" issue with 5850/catalyst 10.12. I have encountered it on my own machine (same 5850 but from Sapphire) and had to forgo the overdrive since I use 2 monitors. The described above system has not been overclocked/overdriven.

Last edited:
Mine had the same problems as yours. I'm sending my card back. The newer drivers and the 5850's don't get along at all. The drivers and the card have issues.

Update. Installed Windows 7. Rolled catalyst on it back to 10.9. After several restarts the pattern got replicated in W7 too :( The only difference - if I drag a window around the screen - it doesn't get "brushed up" in white.

exchange it, i've seen this failure with all sorts of different cards, not any card specific but its a bad component some where.

last time whis sort of thing happened was on a nvidia 68xx card, the card was old and worked a long hot life clogged with dust, when we poked it with wires while it was on when we were waiting for a new card it changed the patterns, it was cool, one time it picked a section of the desktop and tiled it across the whole screen

Update on my XFX 5850. It's been approved for a RMA back to XFX. I'll send it in next week sometime. I'm in no hurry.

I'm afraid of putting the 5850 back in my rig. I'm just hoping XFX fixes or replaces it. Crossing my fingers!

Back