• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED XFX RX Radeon 6600 performance possible improve? Adobe Illustrator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Florin

Registered
Hello, I'm new here, my name is Florin Safner and I'm living in Venezuela. Glad to be here with the experts.

I'm not sure about my system performance and I need some experts opinions please. My system is based on a MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max mobo, a Ryzen 7 3700X cpu with a Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4, G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-25600) DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Dual Channel, Corsair Force Series MP510 480GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD and a XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 CORE Gaming Graphics Card with 8GB GDDR6.
I'm a graphic designer and some of my large files (I'm drawing maps and artistic cartography) as world maps for example at 36 x 24 inch contain hundreds of inner objects which make the whole file very heavy. I renewed my system at the end of the last year looking for a better performance of the whole system because the large files work / save was too slow with the previous AM3 machine. The only item I couldn't buy that time was the graphic card so I have been using till now the oldie MSI ATI R6950 TWIN FROZR II/OC 2 GB DDR5, basically a fossil LOL. The big files process was still terribly slow with it despite of the new AM4 new components. This month I finally bought this XFX RX 6600/8 Gb DDR6 graphic card.
I was expecting a dramatic change in the work flow but I'm not very satisfied. It works better than the old MSI card but I see not a very great or amazing acceleration of the process. I installed th AMD last Adrenaline app, also the Ryzen master and the AND Dragon Center which are supposed to enhance a lot my system velocity. I enable the simultaneous multi-threading option, auto overclocking etc however the real time reading show me pretty low values of the graphic card. The processor reach sometimes 4300-4400 Mhz which seams great, the Noctua cooler works great from 36ºC to 70ºC depending of the task but the GPU-Z values reading in the tight applications, like saving a big world map (see the attached captures) seems too low to me.

The GPU clock is always low, very low, the memory clock works from 0 to 25 Mhz, the memory used reach only 500-600 Mb (where are the 8 Gb??) and the only good thing is that the GPU temperature is always down 30º to 35º and fans are working fine from 0 to 2500 rpm.
The last test I did and took the attached captures with a big 90Mb world map file have taken 1 minute and 20 seconds to save the file. I did a small change, I did "save" and take the time. 1.20 minute, too much.

Could this be improved and acquire more velocity? Some suggestions for a better performance?

Thank you so much,

Florin

Attachments

• capture-1.jpg
    capture-1.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 7
  • capture-2.jpg
    capture-2.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
You're the oldest 'newbie' here.... or did you hijack this account? :p

So......when saving this file, what's actually doing the work when that happens? It's a small file (90MB), are you saving the file to the Corsair drive? Does it save to the cloud (looks like Adobe suite?)?

I assume you installed the latest drivers? Does the card's clock speeds ramp ramp up if you play games?

RE: 'where's the 8GB'. It's there, lol, but fills up as needed, not just because it's there (like system RAM).

Could you post a screen shot of CPUz with CPU, Mainboard, Memory & SPD tabs. Also in GPUz a screen shot of the Graphics Card Tab & Advanced tab PCIe Resizable Bar. Here's examples from my PC.

CPUz.png
ResizableBar.gif

Hi thank you for answer my post. I'll take the screenshots and upload them in minutes.

Could you post a screen shot of CPUz with CPU, Mainboard, Memory & SPD tabs. Also in GPUz a screen shot of the Graphics Card Tab & Advanced tab PCIe Resizable Bar. Here's examples from my PC.

View attachment 358810
View attachment 358811
Post magically merged:

See the screenshots please
At the end, I've opened Illustrator and applied a filer, see the reading on the bottom right please
Post magically merged:

Hi thank you for answer my post. I'll take the screenshots and upload them in minutes.
I ignore where to find "Advanced tab PCIe Resizable Bar"

Attachments

• screenshots.jpg
    screenshots.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
GPU clocks are very low and the memory load is too low either. I was expecting a higher load from its 8 Gb memory but never reach even 1 Gb. Why?

I forgot to ask, Win 10 or Win 11?
Some of the basics, are you running the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Latest motherboard Chipset driver? Is PBO enabled in BIOS? Single core should boost to 4.4GHz with PBO.

I was going to suggest you install the AMD (Graphic) Software: Pro Edition, but they are only available for the RX6600XT & higher cards.

Download, install and run the Superposition Benchmark. If you leave GPUz running in the background you should see your GPU running under a load.

Last edited:
Windows 10Pro, full. I'll try with the Superposition Benchmark and send you the captures. Many thanks.

In Windows 10 Settings I associated Illustrator in the advanced graphic setting -/ high performance.
I did a new test with Illustrator and took the captures in real time. The GPU load is only 2%, I do not understand why such a low memory load in a complex saving file which takes 1 minute

Attachments

• capture-3.jpg
    capture-3.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 7
Well, it seems like Illustrator and the functions you are using are CPU-dependent. Look at the high CPU use in your screenshot during this activity...it's a CPU and RAM-intensive task with a brief spike of the disk at the end.

Upgrading the brakes doesn't make the car go faster. ;)

I've been looking at recommended & minimum specs for Adobe Illustrator & I agree. The boost to the program from the video card is minimal at best.

Well, it seems like Illustrator and the functions you are using are CPU-dependent. Look at the high CPU use in your screenshot during this activity...it's a CPU and RAM-intensive task with a brief spike of the disk at the end.

Upgrading the brakes doesn't make the car go faster. ;)
Thank you for answering. In fact what is confusing me is the slowness when I'm saving the big files. Have a great day.

Right. We get that.

From earlier...unanswered...

Can you confirm the file size is 90MB?
"It's a small file (90MB), are you saving the file to the Corsair drive?"
No, it's not small, I'll explain you why.
I have +10 years working as a freelancer and I'm really very good in this business. I know how and the way the apps are working. Illustrator changes every year, Adobe is constantly updating the previous year version with some new features. Sometimes new versions were worse, slower than the previous ones. My current 2021 one works pretty well Not like a speed car but decently.
Now, a 90,4 Mb file is not a small thing. This layout is a 36 x 24 inch canvas with hundreds, maybe +1000 objects which include shapes, text (names etc) and special effects which are the ones who usually use most of the memory when applied and make the file "heavy". You could delete the effects and the file size decrease at least 50%. Each time you do "Save" there is an accumulation of more and more data because each object's content, for example a X country shape has a different color, an Inner glow effect on its border etc, so each one characteristics must be separately, for every object, saved by Illustrator and each object properties are different from other. We deal with some 200 countries (shapes), islands, text, some effects for the oceans deeps and all of this make it heavy and not available for work with a low resources PC.
However, now I made a test applying some effects on a big country shape and the result preview is certainty more fast, is faster enough compared with my previous AM3 PC system and old GPU.
I guess that we are dealing with the data saving process, Illustrator to the M2 disk interface.
Thank you very much for your answer, this is a very good place for discussions.

In fact Adobe Cloud saving could be very slow because this involves Internet which is slower than a M2 NVMe disk writing.

Thanks for the additional information. It's good to know, but not sure it answered any questions, lol. In the end, a 90MB file is a 90MB file.

I guess that we are dealing with the data saving process, Illustrator to the M2 disk interface.
Again, be sure it's saving to that disk/M.2 and not to the cloud.

90MB should take an M.2 disk literally 1 second to save. Maybe several seconds to upload for a cloud save. Perhaps illustrator is 'flattening' it down to 90MB and that's what takes so long?

In fact Adobe Cloud saving could be very slow because this involves Internet which is slower than a M2 NVMe disk writing.
That's what I've been trying to say, my dude..........!!!!! Look at my previous posts!!!!!

"90MB should take an M.2 disk literally 1 second to save. Maybe several seconds to upload for a cloud save. Perhaps illustrator is 'flattening' it down to 90MB and that's what takes so long?"
I really ignore this but certainly Illustrator is compressing the file(s). Sometime I had projects with 200 an up MB, really tough to chew.
Here you have a benchmark test, I did it minutes ago. Some tweaks with Ryzen Master are helping but when I pushed the RAM frequency from 1600 to 1800 system crashed so I went back to 1600. The GPU has a good score in this test.

Attachments

• Benchmark.jpg
    Benchmark.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 3
In fact it's a great difference between saving whatever file, let's say a .tiff or .jpg 90 Mb picture (a flat object) than a .ai Illustrator file because Illustrator must save each object appearance, means that each one of the inner file's objects has some characteristics as size, color, eventual effect (for instance if it drops a shadow, very heavy effect) this makes this process so different and slower. Regards.

Userbenchmark isn't really a good way to measure, but it looks like everything is performing as it should.

I wish we had dome Ai users here to see if it behaves the same. I have Ai (2022)....

Also, you can quote the person youre talking to by highlighting the text and clicking on reply. Much easier to follow too. :)

Back