• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yeah!! .. and YIKES!! Q9450 Stock setup temps help!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svirfnebli

Okay guys I need you help.

***I'm going to preface this post with this thought... I'm a relatively experienced overclocker and a full time SETI cruncher so I know my stuff.. (Im not a total noob). I'm just not familiar with the yorkfields and this particular chip***

I had an old Sony Viao machine (3.0 P4) which I was using for my living room media center PC but the processor was not powerful enough to play 1080p .MKV files so I jumped at the chance to get a deal at fry's this weekend and bought for $259 a Q9450 and crappy ECS Motherboard. I am not doing ANY overclocking on this machine as all I do on this machine is crunch seti and watch movies. The processor came with this half height fan (Compared to my Q6600 fan's).

So everything runs fine, and in the bios the idle temp shows as 40 degrees, which I can understand with a crappy sony case with bad circulation and a crappy fan. However in the OS when I run core temp my idles are well into the mid 50's even low 60's. When crunching the 4 cores are reading 77/72/70/70 which seems REALLY hot to me.

So my questions are:

1) Is core temp reading wrong considering the disparity between the bios reading and the OS reading?
2) I have a spare Q6600 fan, should I switch them?
3) What should I be using to get accurate temps?

Specs are Vista Business 32 bit 2 gigs of ram.

Thanks for your help.

Svirf, the deep gnome.

Yes switch the q6600 fan. And even then, it will still suck. You have a high cfm fan laying around? If so , get an old pop box and duct tape and start modding it to it lol.

Try using Realtemp, that reports temperatures 10 degrees lower than Coretemp.

There is also supposed to be issues with the sensors on the 45nm chips, the best way perhaps is to run a different processor, crank it up and see how hot it gets. Then compare to how the temperatures actually feel to the touch, my Q9300 tops out at 60 degrees according to Realtemp.

Back