• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Guide to Setting Up a HLDS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ps2cho said:
I'm sorry for being a little vague on that topic, im having a problem with the thread where i cannot edit it because each time it gives me back a message saying i have too many tags...
[/QUOTE]

Ahh, you've gotta love forum restrictions :)

[QUOTE=ps2cho]
Also you mention that you were running a 28 player CS Deathmatch on Linux not exceeding 100MB ? Im new to linux so im not sure how much RAM it uses yet...
[/QUOTE]

Yup. And the only reason it got that high is that people played cs_arabstreets which seems to really push things up. Currently, it's running at 56MB used (system has 183MB of 256MB free, so is using 73MB total, or 17MB for the rest of the system). I've run a CS:S and CS 1.6 server on this same system and it runs out of CPU horsepower long before memory becomes a problem (especially during map changes of the CS:S server).

[QUOTE=ps2cho]
I must disagree with that, watch memory usage when the server has no players and when it does, there is a clear distinction that memory drops when there are players on.
[/QUOTE]

All I can say is that is not what I have observed. It bounces around a bit (+/- a MB or two) during a match, but the fluctuations don't seem to be related to anything in particular. The Linux server most definately does not increase significantly up to 28 people, but I can't say how the Windows server performs over 16 people (though for me there was no significant increase going from zero to 16 people).

[QUOTE=ps2cho]
When i was using windows xp on my duron900 /w 386MB RAM (tweaked to the max with practically 90% services disabled etc..) I was about 260MB RAM left at desktop.
[/QUOTE]

~120MB memory usage at the desktop?!?!? A stripped XP should only be about 80MB, or possibly 60MB if you get really brutal.

[QUOTE=ps2cho]
I run HLDS with a full server at 16 players and im hitting about 45MB RAM left.
I'm sure that your server spiked with that amount of RAM. Sure it runs and its playable, but did it spike every few minutes?
[/QUOTE]

Nope, not at all. Ran perfectly smooth with people joining/leaving. It is running on a LAN connection, and everyone here has the maps that are on the server, so there's not that much activity when somone joins/leaves. On a public server, with people joining who need to upload/download from the server on connection, I could see how the CPU or bandwidth could get hit during a connection and cause some lag. Not memory usage (significantly) though. Actually, the biggest culprit might be pulling the information off the HDD. Unless it's cached, you're going to feel that a bit as HLDS doesn't do this optimally at all. Having more "free" RAM would help this.

[QUOTE=ps2cho]
I have observed that HLDS leaks memory on win32, but after a while i saw that it recooperates the memory and i saw no need to restart the server. I have heard also that linux has a huge memory leak currently going on and everybody in the steam forums are asking for a fix...
[/QUOTE]

For the Win32 server, I noticed it was proceeding like the Linux server: it would leak a small amount on each map change, even if it was only switching between two maps. Pretty much the same as the Linux server. The cheesy trick I use to make the server auto-restart is to include a "bad" map, one with a missing WAD. So once every 50 or so map changes, it hits the bad map and shuts down. It then get started up again by the auto-run script and the players are none the wiser.

I'm interested now. Before when i was running mine on win xp pro, it would spike continuously when i hit 14 players and so i brought my server down to a 12 man.
I was spiking too, so its not a connection issue.
Maybe now im on linux, i will be able to get back to 14 players?
I have 512MB RAM in it right now. How do u think it will fair? Also im running mysql and apache2

I have just added the Linux_HOWTO. Bottom of the 3rd post.

Enjoy.

question

I was trying to make my own server for cs but you said
C:\HLServer\youraccount\hlds.exe" +maxplayers 10 -game czero -console +port 27015 +map de_dust2_cz

thats for cscz isn't it? what do i have to fill in for cs?
Greetings bakito

need help please!

I need help with these following things....please help!

1.I dont think my afk kicker is working properly. What can I do?
2. How can I configure my bad camper plugin to stop for terrorists when the bomb is planted?
3. When using knife duel, why wont the plugin load properly?

To check if plugins are running or not follow these steps:

[1] Check that the files are in the correct directories. <.sma in the scripting folder> <.amxx in the plugins folder>
[2] Ensure you have the .amxx file listed in the plugins.ini located in the configs folder.
eg:
teamkillingplugin.amxx
[3]Restart the server and do amxmodmenu, press 9 for the next menu, then go into PLUGINS. Check the list and see if it is showing up.
[4] Check the forums for the plugin and see if anybody else got it working, maybe there is a fix for it.
[5] Recompile the plugin with the online compiler on www.amxmodx.org and see if you get any errors.
[6] Post here the error you get and plugins code.
[7] Search for any alternative plugins if nobody can help

Bakito said:
I was trying to make my own server for cs but you said
C:\HLServer\youraccount\hlds.exe" +maxplayers 10 -game czero -console +port 27015 +map de_dust2_cz

thats for cscz isn't it? what do i have to fill in for cs?
Greetings bakito

You add cstrike instead of czero
so:
C:\HLServer\youraccount\hlds.exe" +maxplayers 10 -game cstrike -console +port 27015 +map de_dust2_cz

Goodluck.

Hi, i have one question, where is the config.cfg file located? I have searched for it and i could not find it. Am i supposed to make it myself?

thanks for the help. :)

it will be located in the mod's folder.
eg:

HLserver/czero
HLserver/cstrike
HLServer/dod
etc...

if your runninga speacial mod like old school clan mod it would be inside the plugin folder.

eg.
HLSERVER/MOD/Addons/Clanmod(Orhwatever)/CONFIGS/Config.cfg

as i said some plugins like clan mod replaces it to in there.

GL HF

umm KK who is hosting. IF its nuke servers they do that also they change the gosh darn name for some reason(Mainly cuz of there online config editor) but open that up and see if it look like a config :)

Help

When I'm trying to connect to my server this happen:

Dropped [My CS Name] from server
Reason: Invalid STEAM UserID Ticket

That means your game disconnected you. This is a general steam error, just restart steam/computer and it should fix it for you.

ps2cho said:
That means your game disconnected you. This is a general steam error, just restart steam/computer and it should fix it for you.
Doesn't work. Maybe I´ve done something wrong when i installed it. Please help me!
EDIT: I´ve took a picture of it:

dedicated_server.png

Console:

] connect [server IP]
WARNING: UDP_OpenSocket: port: 27015 bind: WSAEADDRINUSE
NET Ports: server 27015, client 27005
Could not get TCP/IP address, TCP/IP disabled
Reason: WSAENOTSOCK
Connecting to [server IP]...
Connection accepted by [server IP]

BUILD 3262 SERVER (0 CRC)
Server # 2
Invalid STEAM UserID Ticket

Commencing connection retry to [server IP]
Connecting to [server IP]...
Connection accepted by [server IP]

Last edited:
eatmyshorts7569 said:
umm KK who is hosting. IF its nuke servers they do that also they change the gosh darn name for some reason(Mainly cuz of there online config editor) but open that up and see if it look like a config :)

kk, ty

Last edited:
Need help. Cant load the AMXX dll.

Hi I've just configured a server on my computer but i have a problem. It doesn't load the AMXX mode it says:

] meta list
Currently loaded plugins:
description stat pend file vers src load unlod
[ 1] <amxmodx_mm.dll badf load amxmodx_mm.dll v - ini Never Never
1 plugins, 0 running

Please help me i am prety shure i did everything currect.

Also my computer config is:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
ATI Radeon 6400 64MB
512 Ram
Win XP home editon (32 bite version)

I've installed the 32 byte version. I thought i needed to install the 64 byte one but instead of dll it has an os.
Do i need to install the 64 byte version or not. :shrug: :confused:

Also i ran Admin Mod successfully on the Dedicated server in steam, and it worked fine i used an automated install. But when i tried the HLServer it didnt load the AMXX dll.

Please help

UPDATE:
I must have missed something or not done something wrong because i reinstalled everything, this time i used the istallation for the amxx and everything worked fine.​

Last edited:
Back