• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ZALMAN CNPS3100 GOLD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw an HSF review on some Brazilian OC page and the Zalmans did very well in a system where the ambient temp was high. I like the radial fin concept, but it looks like it could stand to be bigger overall and use a more powerful fan.

Hoot

I replaced a SuperOrb with a Zalman 3100G on my 1Ghz Athlon on an A7V.

Whereas I was getting 118F idle/125F load, I now get 114F idle/122 load. Plus, it's much much quieter than the SuperOrb.

I love the fact that the fan is on a separate bracket. You can replace the fan with a different 80mm fan, or even build your own bracket to hold other size fans. I've used a CardCoolerXT with the heatsink, and it worked great. I'm going to mod the CardCoolerXT bracket to hold a PanaFlow 120mm Quiet fan and see how well it works.

Tom

I've read three reviews of the Zalman's. Reading Tom's results after he switched from a SuperORB, I hesitate to recommend the Zalman. They really do look spectacular, and make an excellent conversation piece! But as a HSF...

Tom (Apr 03, 2001 01:57 p.m.):
I've used a CardCoolerXT with the heatsink, and it worked great. I'm going to mod the CardCoolerXT bracket to hold a PanaFlow 120mm Quiet fan and see how well it works.

Tom

What is there to mod, it already holds 120mm fans? Just remove one and put the Quiet Fan on instead. Speaking of the CardCoolerXT, I hate it... I bought one, put it in my case... it lasted exactly 5 minutes due to noise. Worst $25 I ever spent, I can't even hang it on the wall or anything... bah...

Hmm... It seems like it's an overhyped HSF. I wasn't going to buy one, though.

Hello,

I've got a Zalmann CNPS3100 Gold on a 1Ghz K7@ 1.4Ghz.
I've replaced the original fan with a PAPST (80mm,40 cfm, 32dba). But
the fan isn't positionned as good as it could : on a KT7A the fan is at the right of the CNPS. Today I'll build another bracket in order to put the fan front of the CNPS.
But actually here's my results (with one 80mm fan on the front panel and one at the rear one)

idle :
room : 22° board: 26° CPU: 28°
full load:
room : 22° board 28° CPU : 49.4 °

I think it's good for a [email protected] but I also think it will a lot better whith the new fan bracket. I'll post my result here soon :)

Nagorak (Apr 05, 2001 03:11 a.m.):
What is there to mod, it already holds 120mm fans? Just remove one and put the Quiet Fan on instead. Speaking of the CardCoolerXT, I hate it... I bought one, put it in my case... it lasted exactly 5 minutes due to noise. Worst $25 I ever spent, I can't even hang it on the wall or anything... bah...

Well, two things. One, the Panaflo is much thicker than the Sunon that came with it. In order for the Panaflo to have enough headspace on the intake side, I have to remount the fan differently in the bracket. Two, the Panaflo I have emits airflow in a conical shape. I'll need to duct the airflow to flow thru the heatsink without too much spread.

My CardCoolerXT is very quiet when I run it thru my PC Mods baybus. I imagine that modding the CardCooler molex plug to take 7 volts will make it run very quiet with little effort.

Tom

Back