• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket 370 that supports DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wardog50

Hi.

Im new here to the board and the whole overclocking world.

I have been wanting some more performance from my current computer. I have a Dell Dimension 4100 which has a 933 pentiumIII, 128mb s.d.RAM, 20g.b.harddrive,and a g-force2MXwith only 32mb on it.

I would like to try my hand at overclocking but I dont what motherboard I have. I am sure it is not friendly for such things.

So in looking around I found a motherboard from Soyo that looks good to me.

However I have a few questions.
It is the SOYO 7VDA it uses the Via Apollo chipset and says that it supports either pc 1600 or pc 2100 DDR upto 1.5 GB.
So I was wondering do you think I could use the new 433mhz DDR, since it will be operating on only one side of the clock pulse(I assume) then that would give me 216.5mhz to work with.
I think that would be good for the overclock probably help stability and so on. I just need to know if it would work?

Also another big question I have is that there is no manual wat to lock-out the PCI or AGP, such as jumpers or dip-switches.
Instead the Soyo homepage says that it can be locked using BIOS settings.
So imwondering if this is an effective way of setting the PCI and AGP or do I really need the manual on-board settings?

It says that it also supports Ultra ATA 100 is this a could harddrive system?

Thanx alot

Welcome to OCforums!

You are aware that you're not going to just swap out your old Dell board for a new MoBo, right? Dell has (amoung other things) a proprietary ATX connector and non-standard MoBo risers and locations.

As for Socket 370 DDR boards, yes there are some but IIRC there's not much performance to be gained by doing this.

Aopen AX37+

MSI Pro266R

Asus CUV266

and more that I don't remember.

Performance won't increase because the P6-arcitechture isn't designed to take advance of DDR-memory.

breez said:
Performance won't increase because the P6-arcitechture isn't designed to take advance of DDR-memory.

I agree. I have a Supermicro 370sda that is socket370 w/ DDR and I didn't really care for it. can't sell it either.

Back