• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JEwing85

Registered
I recently buoght an ASUS P4PE and have a P4 1.6Ghz CPU and i want to overclock. i was wondering if anyone has done it with these two components. any suggestions and info is appreciated.

I am assuming you have a Northwood P4 over a willy (as you just got it). If so you are in luck. as that CPU is very easy to get to 2.1GHz.
To know if its a northwood, check your L2 cache size or Vcore
it should be 512K L2 and a 1.5Vcore

If you have a willy, you may be able to get around 1.8-20Ghz....

ANd the CPU you have is a very popular one, taht has been talked about many times, so a quick seach (top right of the forum) on your CPU should provide you will all the info you need.
Just ask if you cant find anything.....

And welcome to the forums

Thanx

Hello There I Have The Willamette Version Of The CPU and ideas on voltage and FSB?

sorry but willys are not the best overclockers at all.
the max out around 2GHz or so.

Before i say something like rasie your voltage that can kill your CPU, do you have any idea of what kind of heatsink you have and your CPU temps?

i ahve 4 case fans and Intel CPU with thermal take cpu gel. yes i am aware of the consequences and thanx for your help.

well i think you got your temps wrong. It would be 32C not 32F, as that would be frezzing :D

but your temps are nice... you probly just want to make sure your load temps when overclocking dont go over the mid 50's
temp range in the 40's is ideal, but that doesnt always happen....
But DO NOT RASIE your Voltage (Vcore) if you temps get into the 50's, as that can start to damage your CPU.

As for your voltage, dont raise it unless you have to. So that is something to think about if you are overclocked and unstable....

1st thing you are going to want to do is enter your BIOS and change your FSB (front Side Bus). it will be currently set to 100FSB, and you should be able to hit 112FSB with no increase in voltage, maybe 5%(1.825V).

once you have booted up you are going to want to keep an eye on your CPU temp, and run some CPU intensive programs to test for stability. If that pans out to be satable at 112FSB, rasie the FSB SLOWLY (2 or 3 more MHz) and repeat the testing.

If you crash, try to up the voltage by another 5% (1.925V now)

Odds are you wont be able to get your FSB past 120Mhz, but i can happen, so hope for the best. And as for your voltage, i would stay under 2.0V unless you are willing to accept the risk of killing your CPU.

I do not know if that Motherboard you havehas a PCI lock or not, but as you Rasie your FSB, your PCI bus also overclocks. Defualt is 33MHz (100/3) and at 112 your PCI Bus is 37Mhz. Most PCI devices can handle that speed, but once your PCI bus moves in the 40MHz range (120FSB) often PCI devices will fail to work.
The most command ones are Network Cards and Harddrives. So rember to keep an eye on them too

thanx again

yeah 32C is right. sorry. And yes my mobo has PCI & AGP locking. ive seen online that someone has gotten 125 FSB x 16 Multiplier, which they said is 2.0GHz on the willamette. i will try your steps first. thank you so much for the instructions.also another question what about memory oc'ing? i currently have crucial PC2100 512mb and want to oc it. i have thermaltake cooler kit with fan

you can only overclock your memory if you motherboard supports async memory... otherwise your memory runs at the same speed as your FSB...

as for the RAM cooling kit you have... um well it sure looks pretty, other than that, it doesnt do too much, more show than anything.
my $0.02 on that cooler....

just rember 2.0Ghz is all intel got on the Willy and not all CPU's overclock the same. So dont bet everything on 2.0GHz....
but then again you may have gotton VERY lucky and could hit 2.1 GHz

alrighty then

thank you so much it must take alot of time to put together theses instructions so i thank you

no problem
Good luck on the overclock and let us know how it turns out

Yeah BAck Here To Tell You How It Turned Out. I Have Succesfully Overclocked My CPU to 2.0Ghz (16 Multiplier x 125 FSB). Its Running Idle at 38C. While Busy its at 48C. I Got Rid Of The Stock HS & F And Put In Tt Spark 7 Running At 6,000 RPM. Awsome Fan. Also Got 3 New System Fans Running At 2600RPM. Very Cool Machine. A Little Noisy But It Works. For The Memory Part Not OC'd Yet Cuz Not Sure How. It Says In My BIOS that i can set the frenquency up to 293mhz but i dont know what to do. oh my 3DMark 2001SE Score was 8823. i think thats good.

My PC MArk 2002 CPU Score was 4630 And My Meory Score was 3880. thanks for all the help.

2.0Ghz is a nice overclock for a willy, very well done....

iching for a fastre CPU yet :p

Back