• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lower-flow Cathar clone...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RonnieG

Lower-pressure Cathar block...

So I've decided to try my hand on this micro-channel thing... Sloppy work:

cclone1.jpg

The channels are 1mm wide, probably wider...

I was supposed to optimize it for lower (NOT low) pressure pumps. I did the ff:

- More fins. They're now 20mm across, versus Cathar's 15mm. Total of 11 micro channels.

-Base is 3mm thick above the die, and roll down to 1mm at the edges, for a bit more "spreading" effect...

Did I do it wrong?

Now I'm thinking of sharpening (or at least rounding) the tips of the fins so that they can "slice" through water better, and consequently have more water impinging the bottom. What do you think?

EDIT: base thickness above die is 3mm

Last edited:
looks nice. I wouldn't call that sloppy at all. I wouldn't think that sharpening the tips of the fins would do much, but if you have the time, try both ways. Let us know which performs better.

Oh BTW I'll be cooling a 150W TBird with this (voltage in excess of 2.3V at 1666MHz or more). I feel that some "spreading" is going to be needed with this kind of heat load...

Correction: My base thickness above the die is actually 3mm. I measured it this time ;)

Looks to me like the channels will all be the same height as the lid which would effectively seal the channels that the input and exit are not covering. How you gonna get the water from one side of the block to the other? If you put your input and exit in the middle then its only going to pick up 3 or 4 channels. In my opinion you need to cut across those channels to get the water moving through them.
I am no expert at all, just making an observation.
Wish I had the guts to do something like that.

wow! Very nice man! What did you use? im guessing hacksaw or dremel, I use a dremel mandrel with cutting wheels in my mill, it works very acurately and nicely! fiber reinforced wheels are .045inches wide, heavy duty are .04inches wide and the regular ones are like .025inches wide

Im thinking of trying my hand at micro chanel, but i cant do them so micro, the smallest cutter on the cnc mill is like 2.5 mm diameter. Not quite a micro channel but hey! It will be interesting to see if it performs as well.:rolleyes:

You guessed right, I used a hacksaw with a new 24TPI blade. I just laid on some pencil lines 2mm apart and started sawing where the lines were. The channels are probably ~1.2mm, fins are ~0.8mm. In under 2 hours you'll have this. Isn't it ironic that a simple hacksaw can turn out more micro-channels in less time than $1000 equipment? No that was just a joke... :)

Ok so here's the plan:

cclone2.jpg

1) I'll be brazing on some copper blocks to both ends, as depicted by the BLUE rectangles.

2) The fins inside the GREEN rectangles will be chopped down and will serve as the outlet cavity. The outlet cavity can extend to the BLUE area if necessary.

If my theory is correct, which is unlikely :D, most of the cooling will happen within the 21mm x 21mm area bounded by the RED rectangle. I assume that keeping the fins short (number 2 above) will reduce drag. There is no need to have fins outside the RED ZONE right?

3) the YELLOW rectangle is the nozzle which isn't of the final dimensions yet...

Last edited:
looks pretty good man!, I think youll have to make the nozzle narrower, You mite want to play with diff widths

I can't wait to see some more progress on this block. I'm guessing this will be the next "do it yourself" block to beat. Love to see it go up against a Rotor design.

bigben2k said:
I set (finally!) the fin diameter to 25mm, to cover for a Barton core which, by preliminary pictures, looks to be wider than TBred B's.

Yes, when you go with radial fins you need to extend them out further in all directions. Technically this does have the potential to offer more workable surface area than the parallel fin model, but there are other obstacles to overcome of which I'm sure you're intimately familiar with. With the parallel fin model you really only have to worry about heat spreading in two dimensions rather than 3, which means you can get away with using a surprisingly narrow channel area, and the corresponding coolant velocity benefits that go along with that. Six of one, half dozen of the other...

So I've decided to try my hand on this micro-channel thing... Sloppy work:

I think that looks incredibly clean for a hacksaw. Did you make some kind of jig to keep the blade straight and parallel? That looks too good for freehand.

thats awesome, its really cool how that proves the fact that you dont need expensive tools or machines to make very good wb's. This post has persuaded me into looking at making my own wb. How would i go about attaching bits of copper togeather though. Would soldering them togeather be sufficient?

Here's a bit more development on the block. Sorry for the slow progress, this is just a hobby...

cclone3.jpg

I've soldered the endblocks with some lead-free solder (Sn96.5/Ag3.5) under a butane torch.

WARNING: Do not use LEAD solder for these kinds of projects. Machining/sanding the lead will create toxic lead dust and may cause neurological, reproductive damage, and birth defects.

Now time to work on the acrylic...

Freeloader, yes it's not completely freehand. I had some aluminum blocks C-clamped to help guide the blade.

Back