• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR 400 not stable above 147MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doesnotcompute

Registered
I bought some DDR 400 for christmas and now that the warrenty has expired it has come to my attention that the ram is not stable above 146 MHz. Is it the PS? Is it the voltage? If so what should the voltage be? Help!!!

What brand of mem is it?Is your cpu unlocked?What is your current voltage?What Psu do you have?O and welcome to the forums!

Thanks, It is samsung. My cpu is locked but when I run Memtest86 at stock cpu speeds the ram is not stable. the voltage is 2.7v. I have a no name power supply that says that it is 400 Watts.

Im not sure what to tell you for the mem test but Im fairly certain you cant go above 146 because your cpu is locked.I would stay away from no name psu.I would recomend a psu for pc power and cooling,sparkle or Fortron.I would get some thing in the 350 or 400 watt range.

Pc Power and Cooling

Fortron

I would put my money on your no-name power supply. I built a system with a no-name 400w and it would not even post with a GF4 4200, a 1700 Palomino, and 256 SDR in a K7S5A. It did, however, post fine at 100 mhz fsb.

Take a look at the chart on that power supply. What does it say for "Combined +3.3v and +5v voltage?"

trying to post samsung pc 3200 at pc 3200 is difficult enough. let alone at timings that are usable. i always used to defend samsung ram but after the last batch i got it is worthless. I don't believe thge ram is the problem in your case . I would unlock the processor and go to 166 and sync ram. see if that works.

Well, it is not TOO bad... meaning that it should run the ram you have. The problem is that the posted specs are the PSU's MAX operating voltage... it might be able to hold the rails for short periods of time... but it will struggle. Besides, they are probably lying about the specs anyway.

If I buy a new PSU with these specs:500 watts maximum output
Exclusive DC connector for Pentium-4 CPU
Optional 6-pin connector
Dual fan (2 fans!) for extra cooling
Voltage switch for 115/230V AC input
AC inlet, & On/Off switch
Support Intel "Pentium-4" and AMD "Athlon XP"
Complies with ATX 2.03 and ATX12V 1.1
Certified by CE, ETS & EMC

Do you think that this could solve my problem. right now my 5v is 4.67 and my 3.3v is 2.77.

you should really look at the brand and specs... just cuz the specs are good dosnt mean that it is for sure good... no names have been known to jsut die and sometimes take things down with them... or at least give bad rail voltages and stuff like that... :D

well to start off, you will almost always want to run the ram in sync with the fsb. and then to fully test the ram, you will have to unlock the cpu, drop the multiplier, slightly increase the vcore over stock (read more on this before doing it), and then play with your fsb. It could be the ram holding you back right now, but thats the way to find out for sure. If you dont want to risk all that, for the time being set the ram at a seeing where it will be performing well under what its supposed to, and ease back on the memory timings, then increase the fsb. This way if it still isnt stable, you'll know for sure its the cpu+

I lost my last computer trying to unlock my processor. I am content to stay with FSB overclocking. My processor is not stable above 1933MHz. So I know that it is not my processor that is holding back. I gave the wrong info for the PSU. I ment to send this:500W Max

+3.3V 30A
+5V 50A
+12V 25A
-5V 0.5A
-12V 0.8A
+5VSB 2.0A

Maby this can help. By using a PSU with these specs, do you think that my really low 3.3v and 5v line problem can be solved. I think that my PSU is holding me back. The Radeon 9700Pro overclocks to 345 and 325 at least but on my computer it locks up. If I do not use any 3D Games or anything though it is stable. I ran Prime95for 24Hours but as soon as I put on 3DMark2001, my screen became garbled and exited. To me this sounds like a PSU problem. The more I read in these forums the more I learn. THIS IS THE BEST WEB SIGHT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO.

Your 3.3v isn't 2.77 that's your ddr voltage.

erda's can't read 3.3v line I dont believe.

Sounds like poor memory to me if your ddr voltage is stable at 2.77 though

Back